Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    broncofrank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 05:44 PM
    Being Sued in Texas for a past credit card debt.
    I have been served a summons, to appear in my county court because I am being sued by a credit card company for a past debt that was charged off. I have no means to pay a lawyer, and wonder if anyone can help. Can I show up to the court by myself? How do I plead? What is the precoces and what do I stand to lose in the state of Texas (wage garnishment?) please let me know thanks
    Frank
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2009, 06:30 PM

Texas does not allow garnishmnet for unsecured debt. This is not a crminal matter so I moved your post here.

There are dozens of threads in this, the Credit and Small claims forum from people in the same boat as you. I suggest you browse through them and, if you still have questions post a follow-up.

By the way, the fact the debt was charged off has no bearing on you. And inability to pay is not a defense.
    druboy331 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 07:17 PM
    The previous answer is correct. I used to be a bill collector, and we always hated trying to collect in Texas. It is what we call a debtors heaven. Because wages can not be garnished in Texas. Usually the correspondence and calls you receive are scare tactics to make the uniformed feel that something will happen.

If you Google "Fair Debt Collections Act" no in the collectors world as the fdcpa. This is the laws that protect you from debt collectors. That search will also give the fair debt collections. This is not the real deal but a company trying to get your money.

I recommend finding the fdcpa web site. Print the .pdf file and read it from front to back. You will also find information on the laws that govern how they can contact you(usuallY) on one attempt a day. They call call you at work, but if you tell them not to call you at work again, they can't do it. Violating the fdcpa by the collection agency can result in fines and penalties for them.

I recommened keeping a dedicated journal for each account as ALWAYS right down the name of the person that called. They also have limits as to the time of day they can call.

Also, living in Texas, credit cards can not be garnished, do not let anyone talk you into bankruptcy, this is not the best path. Delinquent credit card debts fall off your report 7 years from the date of last activit. Last activity means any payment you made, not interest or fees they put on. So if you are paying 5 dollars a month, then that keeps the date of last activity current. So just quit paying all together. I recommend pulling your credit report so you know the date of the last activity. Its on all three credit reports. Another thing to do is dispute the debt in about 3 years. By law, if the account in dispute can not be confirmed in 30days it has to be removed. So if, for example, you had a credit card with chase bank, and you have not paid it, they will sell it to a collection agency. This makes the confirmation much more intense, due to the longer paper trail they have to go through. If they confirm it so be it... u tried and it works about 50-75 percent of the time. I did this with so many cards I couldn't pay in the past.

So in short, you can't be garnished, do NOT pay anything, even if they offer you a very sweet settlement do not do it. Because if you settle then the account will show paid and stay on your credit report for 10 years. So in seven years from the date of last activity. You need to pulled your credit report and if it is on there still... write to them and demand it to be removed. By law it has to be removed.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU IS TO NOT PAY ANOTHER DIME ON THE DELINQUENT ACCOUNT. YOU WILL NEVER GET IT PAID OFF AND IT WILL RUIN YOUR CREDIT FOR LONGER.

Trust me on this,, I've done this game twice with over 20k in debt each time. Because after the 7 years you will have a perfect credit score.

Also if you have any credit accounts still in good standing... house mtg, auto loan, another credit card pay them on time. If you are going to be late call them, they are often very helpful. Andi f you have any late payments on active open accounts, your credit report will reflect that which lowers your score, but late payment reporting on your credit reports only stay on for 2 years as long as the account is open and in good standing.

Take care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Being sued for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I have got it set up to stop direct deposit of my ssd check starting in March.That means my February chech will go to my bank account. The deadline on papers is feb 8th.(I was served another one from a different credit card last night)How long after that can the creditors get a judgement? Should I...

Sued Credit Card Debt [ 11 Answers ]

Hey I received I guess you would call it a credit card judgement for a debt I owe of $1700. Plus $ 750.00 Attorney fee for them , I guess... I have a 4 yr old, 5 month old, pregnant again with #3, and unemployed. Just recently got laid off from my previous job of 8 yrs. My husband is the only...

Being sued over an old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was served with papers via a Sherrif's deputy around 2 months ago. I answered the supeona and followed all of the proper channels notifying the bottom feeder collection attorney that bought the debt that the debt was incorrect, not mine, and that the statue of limitations had...

View more questions Search