Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susan1sars Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Construction Accounting Retainage Receivable
    Using % of completion method in construction accounting, when would you record the retainage on the contract? As the job progresses, I record as income the % completed and adjust for over or under billings. Is that correct?
    How do you explain to a contractor, that his estimate of completion, based on "knowing
    how much has been completed" compared to what is actually completed based on materials, labor and indirect costs in the general ledger are not the same?
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Mar 11, 2009, 05:35 PM

When to record retainage as it is earned would be the best answer but that is not practical, do it at the end of the accounting period.

Your method of recognizing income sounds good to me. I would need a more concrete example to tell you for sure.

How to explain to the contractor... Well this could be quite difficult I can imagine. I guess you have to say look accounting is only based on things that are measurable. How much of the job he feels is completed is not a measurable thing. What if you were in an audit situation, it not like you can tell the auditor well contractor x said it was 90% done. We just cannot work that way as accountants, which I am sure you know and have to deal with every day.

Good luck Sue!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Construction Accounting [ 4 Answers ]

What costs are included in the builders overhead category?

Accounts Receivable [ 1 Answers ]

Sandler company has the following account balances at year end: Accounts receivable $80,000 Allowance for doubtful accounts 4,800 Sales discounts 3,200 Sandler should report accounts receivable at a net amount of : a. $72,000 b. $75,200 c. $76,800 d. $80,000

Accounts receivable and Accrual Receivable [ 1 Answers ]

When to record accounts receivable and accrual receivable. For example: the business has performed service to a customer (carpet cleaning) and a bill has issued to the customer. $100 Should we record Dr. Accrounts receivable 100 Cr. Revenue 100 Or Dr. Accrual...

Accounts Receivable [ 1 Answers ]

What effect does lowering the estimate for doubtful accounts have on the income statement and balance sheet?

Accounting Cash and account's receivable [ 2 Answers ]

If merchandise is sold to one company and a balance is collected form another company do they both go under cash and account's receivable.

View more questions Search