Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgoodstein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 12:39 PM
    20A Plug help needed before hurricane strikes
    I have a 20 amp(4 prong) female outlet on my generator, I bought the following:

20amp 4-prong male plug
    15 ft of 4 cable 8 gauge rubber coated wiring
    a metal power box (don't know the official name)
    2 pole 3 wire 20 amp grounding outlet (2 plugs)
    2 pole 3 wire 15 amp duplex receptacle
    Cover plat for the plugs

On the male 20amp plug I plugged White(neutral) into W, Green(Ground) into G, Black into X, and pink into Y. I ran the black into the hot on the 20 amp outlet, the green and the white into the appropriate spots as well. I ran the pink cable into the hot on the 15 amp outlet and piggy backed the white and green from the 20 amp outlet. I trimmed everything, secured it well and taped everything.

This is the correct fashion to do this? This should work when plugged into my generator correct? Or am I going to kill myself?

Responses would be appreciated since I am less then 48 hours from getting whammed By hurricane Ernesto. Thanks in advance

jgoodstein
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 01:37 PM
    Sounds good to me. Be sure to test the outlets with the genset on to be sure you have the proper voltages at each outlet, which sounds like should be 120 volts.

Be sure to have the genset outside so you get no CO or fumes in the home.

Ground the genset, connect with a #8 wire to your electric system ground rod.

Good luck with the storm.
    jgoodstein Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Sounds good to me. Be sure to test the outlets with the genset on to be sure you have the proper voltages at each outlet, which sounds like should be 120 volts.

Be sure to have the genset outside so you get no CO or fumes in the home.

Ground the genset, connect with a #8 wire to your electric system ground rod.

Good luck with the storm.
    genset = generator?

Yes the generator will be out back of my house. What I should do is properly ground it to my grounding rod on the house as well, I have a meter tool that will tell me voltage which I can plug in to check so I will do that. I will let you know how it worked, Thank you for the assistance

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mucus plug [ 15 Answers ]

I'm slightly concerned that I might be losing bits and pieces of my mucus plug. I had an incedent a couple of weeks ago when I passed something about the size of a dime though I didn't get a really good look at it. About a week ago I wiped and found a bit of what looked like cornstarch when you mix...

Hurricane [ 1 Answers ]

Who names these hurricanes, why most of them have hispanic names, I think the last one called john,rite?

Gfi plug [ 1 Answers ]

The GFI plug in my guest bath is about 3 months old. Yesterday it reset and I noticed that some of my plugs were not working. I hit the test button and the yellow light came on and when I hit reset, the light went off but my other plugs were still "dead". I plugged a lamp into the bottom switch...

Mucous plug [ 8 Answers ]

I am 39 weeks and 4 days and I haven't lost my mucous plug yet, does anyone know if this means I still have a while to go or is it normal for some women to not experience this until labor??

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

View more questions Search