Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnneedshelp Posts: 67, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2009, 09:29 AM

I have 6 spots available in my panel. I plan on using two spots for a baseboard heater. That leaves four breakers. One will be used for the outlets in the bathroom, One will be used for the bar area. That leaves two breakers for lights in the bathroom, lights/outlets in the living area. I plan on setting up a surrond sound, television in the living area maybe some day a computer. Is this going to be enough?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 12, 2009, 10:50 AM
    Sure. I'd then go with a 15A circuit for all the lighting and a 20A circuit for the receptacles in the living area.

Mar 12, 2009, 11:00 AM

will one 20 amp receptacle be enough for the living area? The area covered is 27 x 27 minus the bathroom.

Mar 12, 2009, 11:29 AM
    What are you going to have? 10-12 receptacles? That is fine since you are not going to use all of them at the same time.

Does your panel accept twin/skinny/tandem breakers? Maybe there is more room than you think.

Mar 12, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Basement Wiring Suggestions
    I am finishing a basement approx 27' x 27'. I have included a very rough drawing of what I want the basement to look like when I am done. I am wondering if anyone could give me some ideas how to wire the basement. I have 220 service available in my house with six breakers slots open in the service panel. Please look at the drawing and if you have any suggestions on how to distribute the power that would be great.
    Attached Images

Mar 12, 2009, 11:38 AM
    Johnny, you already have two thread going on this topic. Why start a new one? Keep it all together.

Mar 12, 2009, 12:12 PM

Sorry about that. One thread got so long about 3 way switches that I thought the actual question(s) was being overlooked. Sorry about that. Should I move this?

Mar 12, 2009, 12:20 PM

How would I know if my panel would take the twin/skinny/tandem breakers?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 12, 2009, 12:30 PM
    >THREE Threads Merged<
    Please stick to ONE thread for this issue.

Mar 12, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnneedshelp View Post
    how would I know if my panel would take the twin/skinny/tandem breakers?
    It will say on the label, although not very clearly. It will tell you what breakers will fit the panel.
    See if you can find that info and post it.

Mar 12, 2009, 12:57 PM

It says homc30uc, A Type 1 Enclosure Square D. Does that help at all?

Mar 12, 2009, 01:04 PM

It says homc30uc, A Type 1 Enclosure Square D. Does that help at all?

Mar 12, 2009, 01:20 PM
    On the inside of the cover will be something with numbers like 816, 1224, 2020, 2024, 2030, 4040, 3040 etc

Mar 12, 2009, 02:30 PM

Not to sound dumb but do you mean I should take the cover off the panel by removing the screws? Do I need to shut the panel off to do this?

Mar 12, 2009, 06:13 PM
    Possibly. Sometimes the label is inside the cover, sometimes inside the panel.

Mar 20, 2009, 03:47 PM

OK
    I have my panel all figured out. Now I am hooking up a cadet electric baseboard heater.
    It is a model 8f2000. It is a 2000 watt 220 volt job. Do I need a 40 amp breaker (2-20 amp) and what gage wire should I use? I think that 12-2 should be OK since it is not that long of a run.

Mar 20, 2009, 03:53 PM
    A two-pole 20A breaker is NOT a 40A breaker. It is simply a two-pole 20A breaker.

Yes, 12/2 would be right for this installation. Just re-mark the white wire with a black or red Sharpie marker.

Mar 20, 2009, 03:56 PM

OK, should I use a two pole 20 amp breaker for this job?
    On an additional note, in the bathroom I am installing, I have a light/heater/fan in the ceiling. Its on its own 20 amp circuit. The switch is on the wall. Can I put a second circuit for the bathroom in the same gang box. Essentially have two circuits in one double gang box. Does that violate any codes?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a basement [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to finish my basement and was thinking of doing some of the wireing myself then bring in a electricion. In the living room I plan to have six plug in's. Also there will be a large walk in closet in that room with a plug in. then in the next room I plan to have two plug in's not...

Basement wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to wire my basement. In the basement there will be 3 gfi outlets, 8 outlets and two ceiling lights. Also in addition to the two ceiling lights in the finished area I want to put two pull chain lights on a switch. My question is will 12/2 wire be heavy enough to wire everything....

Wiring basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am using metal studs in my basmsnt. I positioned each outlet 18inches on center from floor. I purchased the grommets and am ready to start fishing the wire. Can I use the hole in the stud located 5 inches lower than each outlet location in order to save wire? That is, the next available hole...

Wiring basement [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring a finished basement. The problem is the main panel is in the Gar 200a service. This is abour 65 ' away from the finished basment. I was going to run 2 20 amp breakers for the basement room.. it will have lites, frig, entert. Center etc. My question is I want to run a 50 amp...

View more questions Search