Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Paint for plastic bottles
    I am trying to find a paint that can be used on plastic bottles. Also would like to know the prep needed to accomplish this. Need a finish that will be crack and peel resistant.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Chuck
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 08:50 AM

Here is some recommended paints for plastics:

Plasti-kote is the leading brand in Spray Paint.

The above is Enamels. Plasticote is available in the US.

If your painting Laquer, i.e. form an airbrush, then there is a flexible surface additive that needs to be added. This is needed when painting car bumpers and is available at an automotive paint supply store.

The solvent in the paint can't harm the plastic, so fast drying is essential. Scuffing up the surface and removing oils and dust is always essential. You could check the compatibility of the solvents and the drying time. Spray is probably better than brush. Model paints come to mind.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 08:32 AM

Thank u KISS

I will give it a try and let u know how it works for me

Thanks again

Chuck
    Jaymin Painitng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 09:14 AM
    A product called XIM (its a primer) will adhere to glass, plastic metal and many other surfaces.Quite a remarkable product.I would scuff up the plastic with 120 grit sand paper before applying anything.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2009, 10:36 PM

Hi jaymin
    Thanks for the info.Would u know if XIM is available at a place like home depot?

Thanks again=will see if I can hunt it down

Chuck
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

May 14, 2009, 11:27 PM

Try going to decoart.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7-up bottles. [ 7 Answers ]

If you ever run across a 7-up bottle with the name Downey on the back where it shows the Bottler, I'll pay $20 plus shipping for it. Thanks!

Freezing water in plastic bottles [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe to drink water that has been frozen in recycled water bottles?

Removing Adhesive From Plastic Bottles [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to re-use plastic bottles, but the label adhesive remains after I try to soak it and remove the label. I have tried hot water, butter, & peanut butter soaks. Any ideas? Thanks, Don

Water plastic bottles in warm weather [ 1 Answers ]

In your opinion, since there is a danger in plastic bottles seaping chemicals into the liquid in warm weather, are thermos bottles (including the plastic ones) and glass bottles okay to use? In your opinion, are the plastic mugs we buy at Service and Gas Stations for hot drinks safe to use. ...

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

View more questions Search