Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 03:50 AM
    Student loans
    I'm going to be entering collage and I also need to get a student loan. My question is do you have to already be enrolled to apply for a loan?
    I'm in N.S canada if that makes a difference and the school is in new brunswick
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 04:12 AM

Yes, you have to be enrolled and then apply for student loan. Otherwise why would they grant it to a non student ?
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 04:13 AM

Even one that is going to be getting in?
    Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 04:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    even one that is going to be getting in?
    I don't understand this question
    Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 04:18 AM

Following is a Cdn. govt. student loan site you should read up on:

Canada Student Loans and Grants
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 06:38 AM

I just received a phone call about the government of canada gving forgivable loans/grants. Is it possible to get these. As I cannot find the website for it
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 08:42 AM

It can depend on what is available where you are and what the requirements are.

I know, for example, some locations will forgive loans, or at least up to a certain amount of the loan, for those going into certain areas of education. Often if working in certain schools or those planning to teach certain subject areas that they are in high need of.

The school you are interested in should be able to help you with obtaining financial aid... whether through loans, scholarships, or grants... or a combination of them. They should also know about what is available in the way of loan forgiveness programs.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 09:03 AM

Thank you very much. I plan on going to the maritime collage of forestry if you were wondering it is located in new brunswick
    Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 01:32 PM

Hi, bin, I am glad you got more information to your question and I wish you luck getting funding for that interesting choice of forestry. What a wonderful way of reducing our carbon footprint ! That is definitely a good way to improve our ecology in Canada. You live in a beautiful part of Canada as well !

Let us know how you do with this.

Regards

The tick
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 08:19 AM

Tick,
    I found out this morning that nova scotia student loans now automatically forgive the first 20% of your loan for every single loan they give out. There for I have just saved a few grand. I am now applying for my loan and hope to be starting in September. I have always been intrested in the environment and the outdoors and animals so to me this was the career choice that suited me quite well. Curently I am taking a wildlife and forestry course just to learn more about it all and expand the knowledge I have. I also have to take a 16 week course at holland collage for conservation enforcement after my two years of schooling. I thought you might like to know what I had found out since I posted last. Thanks a lot to the poster that sent me the url for the student loan website. That's where I found out about the 20% forgiveness. Plus they also offer payment forgiveness also which is after you graduate you apply for it and it lowers your monthly payments so they can not go any higher then 7% of your monthly income that way you can still afford to live while paying off your loan

I'm so excited and happy :D
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2009, 08:47 AM

Congrats on the good news! I remember taking an aptitude test in high school and I was surprised to find forestry was the second career suggested to me... :) I still have days where it feels like I should have investigated that option further! Good luck with it!
    Expert

Mar 12, 2009, 12:01 PM

Would be interested in an up date as you go along, bin. You are going to be working at something that I wouldn't mind trying, but already in heathcare, so it isn't an option now.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 04:33 AM

I will totally give you updates. Right now there are spaces open still in the school .they only accept 55 students each year. I'm sending in my application on Tuesday so I'll know a few months before September or earlier if I have gotten in...
    Thanks for the help guys :D
    Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 05:48 AM

Keeping fingers crossed !

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loans [ 4 Answers ]

What type of lawyer can I get to help me settler my dept for a student loan that is over 20+ yrs old.

Student loans got the best of me? [ 1 Answers ]

I thought getting a degree in Nursing would set me free. The laugh is on me... I am in debt up to my ears with student loans. I wonder if there are any options out here for me??

Student loans [ 5 Answers ]

Can you file bankruptcy on a student loan in the amount of 200.000

Student Loans [ 2 Answers ]

My total monthly bills add up to more than I make, now that my student loans have come out of forebearance. I really want to start paying them down but cannot afford the $160/ month they require. Before this last time I went on forbearance, I offered to pay $50 per month and the student loan...

Student Loans [ 14 Answers ]

I plan to move out of my parents house at the onset of this June. I plan to have a job by the end of June until mid August when I will relocate again to campus which I will attend for the next four years. I intend to enroll full time. Is there a way that I can do all this and get a loan for $20000...

View more questions Search