Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Quandy7237 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Academic fraud concern
    I'm in an ethical bind, and I need to find out what to do to make ammends.

To make a long story short, over a decade ago, I went to four different schools in my area and dropped out after a few months of classes at each. I didn't even bother to withdraw, I just stopped going to class for various reasons in my personal life.

A few years ago, I made the decision to change my life and go back to school. When I enrolled, I wanted a fresh start and enrolled as a new student, hoping for a clean slate. I didn't request transcripts or credits from my previous school work. That was at a community college, and after getting on the President's List, I transferred to a state university. Again, I did not include the transcripts from my previous institutions or mention that I'd attended the schools, seeking only the credits from my recent community college classes.

I graudated from the university this December in the top 10% of my class, and I have full plans to go to graduate school, but in the process of applying I've recently been made aware that what I have done is technically academic fraud. I never intended to commit fraud -- I just wanted to put my past behind me.

I realize that what I did was wrong, but how do I correct this without being stripped of my degree?

HELP!
    dglennware Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Mar 29, 2009, 03:04 PM

I am guessing that when you say you never included official transcripts form the first colleges you attended, they were actually asked for. Wow... could be a mess. Your choices are this: just go on with your life knowing you have proven yourself a decent student and recognize your mistakes. Or, go to your graduating university and explain the truth. If you have already been advised that you have committed fraud, then somebody else already knows about it and could report it. I fully understand why you didn't report them in the first place. In the big scheme of things, I really don't think it is a big deal because you have already "made amends" by completing a program and graduating. However, other folks (like those at a university) may not take it so lightly. Go explain your actions before somebody else does and plead your case.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2009, 04:16 PM

Personally since you quit, I don't see any fraud, who said, what is the issue, grade points normally mean nothing in the real world when looking for a job, it is the degree, which you would have either way.

Sounds like someone is trying to mess with you and upset you or they wanted a job you got.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Becoming an Academic Advisor [ 2 Answers ]

I've applied for several positions as an academic advisor but never hear from any of the universities or colleges. I have an advanced degree and teach in some capacity on a regular basis. Do I need a certificate or something ? It is frustrating because I love working in academic environments and I...

Academic standing [ 1 Answers ]

My schedule this term includes a four-credit literature class and a two-credit photograph class. Is it fair to say that the literature course should be worth more towards my academic standing than the photography class?

What are the requirements to become and Academic Advisor? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me what I would get my Master's in to become and Academic Advisor? What are the requirements to hold this position in New York State?

How to become an Academic Advisor. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Bachelors degree. I would like to become an Academic Advisor (AA). Is it required to have a Masters degree to become an AA? Thanks.

Becoming an Academic Advisor? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone have an leads on positions in Academic Advising?? I have to finish three clases and I will have a degree in Guidance and Counseling. I work in Career Services so I have work experience on giving advice and guidance but I want to concentrated more in Academics. I completed my...

View more questions Search