Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skotty1234 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Cant downgrade from vista to xp?
    I have hp DV4 1117nr laptop, I spend so much time on how to downgrade vista to xp every time I put the windows xp installation cd my computer crashed, just wonder if anyone can help me out.
    AnilKumarBala Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 01:36 AM
    Hey! Are you trying to install the Windows XP in the same partition without formatting, then it won't. If not, then try to install the windows XP at the startup of the Computer but not from the Windows Vista. However, try using another set of XP CD. I think these may resolve your issues
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Mar 26, 2009, 05:50 AM

Most likely if you're attempting to install XP on a newer laptop, it requires specific drivers to be loaded during the initial setup of XP so it can see and use the drive. The absence of this driver is most likely what is causing your computer to crash. Research online what type of drive controller your laptop is using then download the dos based driver, copy it to a floppy. You'll probably need a USB floppy to make it all work. Insert your XP CD and start the process, on the first blue screen at the bottom where it says Press F6 to install separate drivers, do that because it will then read the USB floppy drive and pull the driver from the floppy and then you can install XP without issues. If you're still having issues after that, then you might start looking at the physical drive to ensure that it doesn't contain bad sectors that are preventing XP from being installed correctly.
    sreenivaspn81 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Apr 1, 2009, 07:44 PM

Boot with Windows Xp cd, format and install the operating system
    Andrew Carstens Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Apr 18, 2009, 05:30 PM
    :D when downgrading from windows vista to windows xp you should delete all partitionsand crecate new ones and fromat it before you can install windows xp
    cooch Posts: 38, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 20, 2009, 12:33 PM

I agree that you need a new Windows XP CD. If the CD is fine, then you shouldn't have a problem.
    Helljack6 Posts: 107, Reputation: 8

Apr 21, 2009, 07:09 AM

You all are handing out very bad information thinking that the CD is bad. I'll reiterate my previous posting, it's NOT the CD.

Most likely if you're attempting to install XP on a newer laptop, it requires specific drivers to be loaded during the initial setup of XP so it can see and use the drive. The absence of this driver is most likely what is causing your computer to crash. Research online what type of drive controller your laptop is using then download the dos based driver, copy it to a floppy. You'll probably need a USB floppy to make it all work. Insert your XP CD and start the process, on the first blue screen at the bottom where it says Press F6 to install separate drivers, do that because it will then read the USB floppy drive and pull the driver from the floppy and then you can install XP without issues. If you're still having issues after that, then you might start looking at the physical drive to ensure that it doesn't contain bad sectors that are preventing XP from being installed correctly.
    cooch Posts: 38, Reputation: -1
    -

Apr 21, 2009, 05:18 PM
    I still believe that there is a problem with your CD. I recently bought a new laptop and had no problem installing Windows XP. You just need to follow the instruction in the startup. After you insert the disc, wait about a minute to see if the start up starts up automatically. If not go to my computer, then control panel. The program should appear in the drive D icon. If it does double click on it and the start up will begin. If it doesn't try inserting the disc again. If it still doesn't appear there is a problem with the CD.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Downgrade MS 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Delete office 2007, install 2000

Downgrade computer [ 4 Answers ]

As I have said before, I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Home Preimium, which I HATE:mad:, and would like to downgrade to any version of Windows BEFORE XP! Could anyone help me?? :confused:

Downgrade 30A to 20A Circuit for PTAC? [ 2 Answers ]

All, I am pretty certain this is no problem but wanted to pressure test this before I do it so Im sure I have not missed anything. I have an existing 30A Circuit (consisting of two bridged 30A breakers), serving one Large Tandem 230/208V 30A receptacle for an old PTAC Unit. I am replacing...

Windows 2003 downgrade [ 2 Answers ]

How do I downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server

View more questions Search