Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellman0213 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Retention bonus taxes
    I was just laid off from my job and received a retention bonus. We worked for 6 weeks knowing we were losing our jobs to another company. Our retention bonus was compensation of one week pay for each year worked and Fed withholding was to be 25%. When we got our checks we were also had Social Security tax and medicaid taken out. Why if it wasn't earned income?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Mar 15, 2009, 07:01 AM

Social Security and Medicare comes out of all income paid. Retention bonus is still considered income and is Medicare and social security need to come out.

Shirley

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on Bonus [ 3 Answers ]

If I have no dependents, How much will I pay in taxes if I have a $7100 dollar bonus, and how much will I get after taxes are taken out? I live in Oklahoma. Thanks

Bonus Taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How much are quarterly bonuses taxes?

Retention Bonus as Gifted Amount [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am in contract talks with my employer, and have been offered 15,000.00 retention bonus the first year, and 10,000 every year after as a "gifted" amount. Will this be subject to capital gains tax? If so. What is the best thing to do with it to get lower taxation. Also, I am getting a...

Taxes on Bonus [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, In early 2007, I have received a bonus ($1,000). When this bonus was paid, I did not pay any taxes on it. This was processed by Paychex. As a J1 visa holder, I understand why I did not pay Social Security, Medicare and NYC taxes, but I also did not have to pay Federal and New York State...

Taxes on Bonus [ 2 Answers ]

If I get a bonus at the end of the year will the same amount of taxes be taken out of the bonus as usual? Also, I had heard that if you work for your parents at own their own corporation than you could be exempt from paying Social Security and Medicare taxes. What would the pros and cons for...

View more questions Search