Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newbye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Resident alien with foreign income and nonresident wife
    I am on F1 visa and I am considered a resident alien because I stayed in US from 1997 to 2001 on F1 visa and beginning 2007 until now also on F1 visa. In 2008, I earned income in the US and was still receiving income from my home country. My wife is working in US but she's a nonresident. We have two children who stayed for 7 months with us in the US.

My question is am I really considered a resident alien or a non resident alien? Do I have a choice here? I can't decide whether its better to file as non resident alien and file separately or file as resident alien and file married jointly with wife. Would she be eligible since she's a non resident? And our children have no ssn, so they are not considered our dependents, right?

Thank you in advance.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2009, 09:41 PM

You will file resident tax return.
    You can file joint return as residents and claim your children as dependents. You will attach W7 (ITIN applications) with your tax return. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    newbye Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 10:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    You will file resident tax return.
    You can file joint return as residents and claim your children as dependents. You will attach W7 (ITIN applications) with your tax return. Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    I don't think I need to fill W7 since both me and my wife have SSN. Or did you mean it was for our children? According to the site you gave, my children are considered resident since they stayed more than half a year in 2008. But when I'm filling up the tax cut software, it says I can't claim them as dependent since they don't have a SSN. Is there something wrong with taxcut?

And how about my salary overseas? I did receive some for 2008 although I wasn't physically present there. I was in US for all 365days. It seems the taxcut software is more confusing rather than helpful.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 06:08 AM

If you don't elect to file jointly with your wife and have both of you treated as residents for the entire year, then you are a U.S. resident for only part of the year. Filing jointly is probably better from a tax perspective, but you will have to include the salary from overseas on your U.S. tax return and either claim foreign tax credits or posssibly claim the foreign earned income exclusion under the bona fide residence test using the nondiscrimination rules under the treaty.
    nigam2012 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
    You are not a Resident alien. As a student you cannot file 1040. You have to file 1040 NR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US citizen marrying nonresident Alien-Foreign Income Exclusion? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a US citizen living in the USA and about to marry a Russian citizen who is also currently in the USA. She is here on a tourist visa but we expect her to get US residency soon. She worked in Moscow prior to coming to the US two months ago and has lived there most of her life. After marriage,...

Resident alien married to Nonresident alien- 1040 details [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a straightforward question: I am a resident alien who is married to a nonresident alien. We have one child who is my dependent. I will be filing as head of household and will claim an exemption for my wife (she does not work) and for my child. Do I still need to write my wife's...

Resident Alien or Nonresident Alien [ 7 Answers ]

I see this question many times on this website but still could not find the answer to the following. IRS rules (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nre.pdf) say that "Generally, you are considered a resident alien if you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test for 2007."...

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

View more questions Search