Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Excel - Importing from web or SQL database?
    Ok, I know how to Import from the Web via Excel.. that is not what I am looking for. Here is what I would like to be able to do:

We have a system that we can upload a pre-formatted PDF with variables that will pull info from our system. This works great for populating customized contracts.

I would like to do the same with Excel... upload a pre-formatted Excel file so that when the rep clicks on it, it will have codes in it that will pull data from our system to populate itself.

Is this possible?

So far, the only way I can see to do something like this would be to use the Excel function that allows you to import from the web. However, this would pull a table into a blank tab in Excel... then I would have to map all the cells over to the other tabs where I want them. Doable... but more steps for the reps (which, if anyone deals with sales reps, you know that equals more errors and inaccuracies).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Mar 11, 2009, 06:06 AM

It will depend on the source of the data. Is it a database or flat files of some type?

Here is some information on importing from a database:

Mac ODBC: Importing ODBC data into Excel
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 08:56 AM

Well, this would be done using only Windows machines.

It's for a business.. and one where there is no chance of getting them to switch over to Macs
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Mar 11, 2009, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle View Post
    Well, this would be done using only Windows machines.

It's for a business.. and one where there is no chance of getting them to switch over to Macs
    Sorry, I didn't check that. Where is the data coming from? What kind of database or file? Or is it pulled from a web site.

Here is information that may be useful: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...864661033.aspx
    kerryxlynn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 11:52 AM

DrJizzle.. Is there a way to send a private message to you? I have a question..
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 19, 2009, 05:37 PM

Click on DrJizzle's name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel to CSV query importing in to an access DB [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having a problem when I convert an excel ss to a CSV file. I have the following formula in excel =IF(D5="Transfer off",IF(COUNTIF(Sheet3!$H$3:$I$36,Sheet1!C5),VLOOKUP(Sheet3!$H$3:$I$36,2,0),""),IF(D5="Transfer on",C5,"")) I'm converting to CSV to import in to an access database and when...

Database Importing [ 2 Answers ]

Ok - question I have 800 databases (Excel) - price lists of clothing companies and I want to import them into access is this possible without having to type the products one by one. I need a way of importing a struture and letting this info feed into my access database including pics and prices....

How to export database of chart prepared in powerpoint to excel worksheet [ 1 Answers ]

I have prepared one chart in powerpoint using excel worksheet. The worksheet was updated in powerpoint and no of slides of powerpoint were prepared. Now I want to import these charts in excel worksheet. I need help to perform this function.

View more questions Search