Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allinone Posts: 76, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 09:19 PM
    User friendly linux
    Hello,

I've installed Mandriva 10.1 but somehow it opens in command line mode. How can I switch to GUI?

Thanks
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Aug 27, 2006, 09:52 PM
    Assuming you installed and tested the graphics setup at the tail end of the installation you can do one of two things:

1) type "startx" at the command prompt
    2) type "init 5" at the command prompt

I'm guessing that your install didn't properly configure the video so you may need to run "XFdrake" to get your video setup/tested. At the end of the config you'll have an opportunity to configure your system to automatically start in graphics mode.

You might also want to go for a newer version of Mandriva. 10.2 is old at this point and you can download the latest which is version 2006.

Good Luck

Aug 28, 2006, 06:33 PM
    Is it possible to update to the latest free version of the Linux? I installed on top of the Mandrake 9, so I guess that installation has completed without errors.

I'm going to type those commands.

Aug 28, 2006, 07:01 PM
    You should be able to upgrade without a complete re-install.

Aug 29, 2006, 06:58 PM
    So, typed in startx and I found a couple pieces of the info:
    ------------------------------------
    Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

-----------------------------------
    Fatal server error:
    No screens found
    ---------------
    Do you have any suggestion?

Aug 29, 2006, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by allinone
    Do you have any suggestion?
    Have you tried running XFdrake like I suggested earlier? What was the result? This utility "XFdrake" should help you configure your monitor and video card. I would let it pick the defaults and go from there. If those don't work then try to manually pick your video driver and display.

Aug 30, 2006, 07:40 PM
    I have tried to run XFdrake.

When I selected the Test option I got the following message:
    -------------------------
    An error occurred:
    (EE) CIRRUS(0): No valid MMIO address in config space

(EE) CIRRUS(0): Virtual width is too large for the hardware (max 2048)

Try to change some parameters
    ---------------------------
    I am not sure about video card but the monitor's model is correct. I can check out what kind the video card I got.

Thank you

Aug 31, 2006, 03:33 AM
    From the error message it seems that you have a CIRRUS video card with 2MB of memory. With that you can't really run very high resolutions. The best you might be able to do is 16bit color and 800x600 though I'm not real certain.

Are you by any chance trying to run higher resolution? When you use XFdrake usually it tries to guess at your memory, Video card, and monitor.

What was chosen for your Video card? (model/memory)
    What was chosen for the resolution? (color depth and size)

I'm guessing one of those wasn't correct.

Aug 31, 2006, 05:56 PM
    I am going to check everything. But I was able to run the Mandrake 9 with the same memory, resolution, video card, etc. Does the Mandriva requires more resources?

Thank you

Aug 31, 2006, 06:10 PM
    I don't think it is a question of resources as much as it could be a hardware recognition issue. 10.1 maybe recognizing your card as only having 2MB of RAM. I recall some odd behavior under 10.1 a while back.

Have you tried to point to a new mirror to see if there have been any updates? Go to http://easyurpmi.zarb.org and follow the on-line instructions to set yourself up with a pointer to an update mirror. Then issue the command (at the root prompt):

Urpmi --auto-select

AFTER you follow the instructions on how to setup your mirrors for your update (and if you'd like contrib & main).

This will update your system with any patches and security fixes. Then once you do that try to see if you can go through the XFdrake again.

I'm curious why you're trying to go with 10.1 when the newer releases are out and have many of the bugs worked out. Mandriva 2006 is extremely stable and of course you can download it for free.

Sep 1, 2006, 10:39 PM
    1. I think, I confused myself. I double checked the website where I downloaded the CDs. It looks like the Mandriva 2006.

2. In order to download the updates do I have to type in first
    urpmi.addmedia --update updates
    ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/MandrivaLinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz, and then
    urpmi --auto-select?

Linux is something new for me, and I need some kind of the Linux feeling.

Thank you.

Sep 2, 2006, 05:40 AM
    1. I think, I confused myself. I double checked the website where I downloaded the CDs. It looks like the Mandriva 2006.
    OK, that's good that you have 2006. 10.1 is slightly old at this point and not really supported ;).

2. In order to download the updates do I have to type in first
    urpmi.addmedia --update updates
    ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/MandrivaLinux/official/updates/2006.0/main_updates/ with media_info/hdlist.cz, and then
    urpmi --auto-select?

Linux is something new for me, and I need some kind of the Linux feeling.

Thank you.
    You got it... that's exactly what you type. This will point you at one of the mirrors that has updates. The "urpmi --auto-select" will update your system. Accept the defaults. One other thing I would do is to point to the main packages also at the same site before you update. This keeps it consistent in case the update needs to pull a new package. So also add this before you do your "urpmi --auto-select":
    Code:
    urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main with media_info/hdlist.cz
    urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.phys.ttu.edu/pub/MandrivaLinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib with media_info/hdlist.cz
    These will give you a pointer to the main distribution (i.e. you don't need the CD's anymore) and also to all the contrib packages in case you need to install anything else.

Sep 2, 2006, 10:39 AM
    Thank you for prompt responses.

I've tried to do what you suggested, but I think that machine is not connected to the Internet. I tried to ping and the server is not responding.

I have other idea. Can I download the Mandrake 9, establish the Internet connection and on top install Mandriva 2006 using the above mentioned commands?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Authorized user [ 4 Answers ]

I was made a authorized user by my daughter not even knowing about it.Then started getting phone calls from collection agency that I was responsible for the debt that has went unpaid. I explained I was only a authorized user not a co-signer and at the time the credit card was issued to my daughter...

How to get the Location of a user [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how can I retrieve the location of every user when they visit my website. Are there any built in ASP functions for it.

User objectives [ 1 Answers ]

Let's say I just took a huge loan from a bank, and I determined they were my most important user. When making my financial statements, I choose to maximize income (within the limits of GAAP). Why would this serve to be useful if I show these statements to the bank?

Friendly user printing [ 2 Answers ]

Hope you can give me a good answer. SOMEONE IS designing a php mail form but also needS to include a button TO PRINT THE FORM once it's been filled out by the user. The browser printing option is not the answer because the printing it does, is not nice at all and secondly, because it wouldn't...

View more questions Search