Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Selwoc Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Ford Ranger noise .high pitched whine/hum
    Just bought my first Ranger today. A 2006 2WD XLT Automatic 5-speed with overdrive and cruise control. Has under 19 K miles. Looks spanking brand new; not a scratch or dent and beautifully detailed. However... ( ! ), I notice a high pitched whine or hum at hiway speed (well, above 30 mph) which disappears when I take my foot off the accelerator. At first, I thought it was tire tread noise until I let it 'coast' a bit. (Noise disappears when coasting, returns when I put foot back on the gas).
    Ideas what to look for?. Does not seem to be on only one side, either front or back... just "underneath somewhere". Am I just being picky? Is this sort of noise normal for this vehicle? I am a newbie with pickup trucks.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 07:24 AM

That sounds distinctly like rear differential whine.
    First thing you should do is have the axle fluid level checked.
    If the fluid is low, find out where it's going. If it leaks out the axle seal and gets onto the brake linings, you're in for more problems quickly.
    If the fluid level in NOT low, then the diff and or bearking need attention.

Get the fluid level checked and let us know.

Mar 11, 2009, 07:44 AM
    Thanks, Captain Rich. I shall get on this and see what the fluid level is and have them check the seal, etc. I suspected it might be something like that. I'll get back with what I find out. Fortunately, there is a warranty on the power train :)

Mar 13, 2009, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    That sounds distinctly like rear differential whine.
    First thing you should do is have the axle fluid level checked.
    If the fluid is low, find out where it's going. If it leaks out the axle seal and gets onto the brake linings, you're in for more problems quickly.
    If the fluid level in NOT low, then the diff and or bearking need attention.

Get the fluid level checked and let us know.

Captain Rich--- you were very close. It was determined today that the noise which annoyed me was due to a faulty pinion. They are replacing the offending part next Tuesday (under warranty) and I am looking forward to a quiet truck. Thanks for you time, effort, and advice. I do appreciate your answering...
    Selwoc in WA state
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2009, 08:15 PM

Have the differential filled with 75W-90 Mobil 1 Gear Oil. This should help ensure trouble-free operation.

Mar 14, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Selwoc View Post
    Just bought my first Ranger today. A 2006 2WD XLT Automatic 5-speed with overdrive and cruise control. Has under 19 K miles. Looks spanking brand new; not a scratch or dent and beautifully detailed. However...( ! ), I notice a high pitched whine or hum at hiway speed (well, above 30 mph) which disappears when I take my foot off the accelerator. At first, I thought it was tire tread noise until I let it 'coast' a bit. (Noise disappears when coasting, returns when I put foot back on the gas).
    Ideas what to look for?... Does not seem to be on only one side, either front or back...just "underneath somewhere". Am I just being picky? Is this sort of noise normal for this vehicle? I am a newbie with pickup trucks.

NEXT QUESTION: Gear ratio. <1> Where on the rear end does one look to determine the gear ratio? And, <2> What is the OEM gear ratio for a 2006 2WD Ranger 5-speed auto with overdrive on a 4.0L V6? Someone said mine is a 3.55. <3> what would be the effect of putting on a 3.73, or maybe more? Thanks!
    Selwoc
    :p
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2009, 11:18 AM

There may be a metal tag on the differential. Ford often provides a ton of vehicle information on a sticker on the inside of the driver's door. Another way to find out may be to enter your VIN on the Motorcraft web site and search around:

MOTORCRAFT® FULL LINE CATALOG OF PARTS FOR FORD, LINCOLN OR MERCURY VEHICLES
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Mar 15, 2009, 12:30 PM

The vehicle certification (VC) label is located in the driver door jamb. The first 2 digits of the axle code indicate the rear axle and the third digit refers to the front axle, if so equipped.

Name:  decal.gif
Views: 22698
Size:  25.5 KB

Mar 15, 2009, 01:42 PM
    The vehicle certification (VC) label is located in the driver door jamb. The first 2 digits of the axle code indicate the rear axle and the third digit refers to the front axle, if so equipped.

Captain Rich
    OK, the two digits on my label say AXLE 95 . How do I interpret this?
    Selwoc

Mar 15, 2009, 01:59 PM

Captain Rich
    OK, the two digits on my label say AXLE 95 . How do I interpret this?

The metal label attached to the differential case says:

733 8 v 3 55 88 5Hr8

Decode please?
    Selwoc
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2009, 02:04 PM

Take that information and call your local Ford truck dealer. They will decipher the code for you. I've had to do that several times for friends.

88 = 8.8 inch ring gear

3 55 is likely 3.55:1 gear ratio

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High-pitched, loud noise while A/C unit is running [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Mfg. A/C split unit outside my house. When it is running, it makes a really loud, high-pitched noise. Is this an indication of a problem? I have a home warranty and am wondering if this qualifies for a repair service call through the warranty company.

1996 GMC Jimmy-high pitched noise [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy. When the vehicle is moving I can hear a high pitched noise emanating from the front of the vehicle (it sounds like it is coming from the both the drivers and passengers side wheel areas), however, it immediately stops when I press the brake. What is causing this noise?

High Pitched Whine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very perculiar problem with a computer I gave to a customer. It makes a very high pitched whining noise. It's not very loud, just loud enough to get hella annoying after a half an hour or so. I discovered that by unplugging the sound jack for the internal speakers from the back the...

Whirlpool high pitched noise then no spin [ 1 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool Gold heavy duty super capacity quiet washing machine. For a few weeks there would be this high pitched noise right when the spin cycle started for about 10 seconds. It would happen in both the wash and rinse cycle. I did 1 load and everything was OK and then the next load it will...

View more questions Search