Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nikki1220 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 01:56 PM
    what colors to mix to get perfect hair color result?
    I started using a salon for color & highlights until one time my scalp was burned very badly, so I started doing color myself. My old stylist told me to get a light natural brown color when using OTC store brands, because they turnnout darker . So, my hair was mediumish brown with highlights which were golden in which she could never get that right either. I did not golden highlights. Anyway, I applied nice n easy perfect 10 ( light brown #6) which was OK but did not cover grey as much as I would have preferred. I have some grey in front hairline. Then I highligted it and it turned out OK. I colored it again 2 months later same color no highlights this time, when it started to grow my natural color was darker and u really did not like that and still not very good grey coverage. So I used clairol color blend technology (natual medium brown #118) about 6 weeks later and it was a little better at first, still not really happy with grey coverage and my sisters first words were it had a reddish tint to it in sunlight. I really didn't want they either. So, I settled and for past 5 weeks I have been using a clairifying shampoo 3x a week because my hair gets product build up, well I have noticed outside in natural light it is more of a light brown and it has reddish colors, it had golden blonde highlights to it too. I am thinking the clairifying shampoo did this. So, iwent to sallys and I want to use ionic color brillance hair color but am nervous to get wrong results. I read a review on the medium brown with one person saying it was darker than hair swatch in store. I am so confused. I want a medium brown no red and want to get blonde highlights that are not reddish or gold on color at all. What color to get? Mix? Any recommendations? Thanks for any help. :-)
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 05:50 PM
    My suggestion is to you is save up your money and go to a salon. You don't want to be:
    A) Spending all your money looking for the perfect dye
    B) Frying your hair with all those chemicals while looking for the perfect dye.

A professional will do it right and the chemicals they use are A LOT and I mean A LOT better than the ones that come in a box. PLUS if they don't get it right the first time you can always complain and get it re-dyed at no cost.

Trust me. Been there done that.

MRS.S
    Nikki1220 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mudweiser View Post
    My suggestion is to you is save up your money and go to a salon. You don't want to be:
    A) Spending all your money looking for the perfect dye
    B) Frying your hair with all those chemicals while looking for the perfect dye.

A professional will do it right and the chemicals they use are A LOT and I mean A LOT better than the ones that come in a box. PLUS if they don't get it right the first time you can always complain and get it re-dyed at no cost.

Trust me. Been there done that.

MRS.S
    Thanks for your information. I know my current stylist tells me every 6 weeks that I come in for hair trimmed, that she will do the color, but I just am scared after that one experience I had a couple of years ago when my old stylist burned m scalp so bad it was oozeing and my hair actually stuck to my scalp because of it, this happened 2 days before I was to leave for vacation for Florida. Needless to say about a week and a half out of my 3 week vacation in Florida was miserable because of it. I wish I could get over the fear.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 08:35 AM
    Hey I know what you mean! I've been through it: bad dyes, hair cut too short and a really bad hair treatment that left my hair smelling really gross for a few days.

The best way to get over it is to go to a salon that has a policy that if they do a bad job they'll do it over for free or not even charge you. Find a salon also that a friend, relative has gone to in the past, also check for reviews of the salons in your town online!

MRS.S

After all hair grows back =)
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Mar 11, 2009, 02:22 PM

I totally agree with Mudweiser!
    Reviews are the way forward.

I too have had bad experiences with some salons, it was horrendous!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mixing two or more hair colors to make a new color [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, how do I mix two or more hair colors? Is there a general rule? I'm looking for a chocolate brown color but I'm also looking for new colors to try too. Thanks

How long after dying my hair can I use a color zapper? What color will it turn my hai [ 2 Answers ]

My natural hair color is Dark/Medium Brown. Since summer, I've been dying my hair with a reddish tone. I haven't had my natural color since then. I decided to try black, I HATE IT. I look too pale and it looks like a wig. My friend told me about a loreal color zapper and I don't want to damage my...

At-home hair color using Color Zap, then Wella color [ 2 Answers ]

I have naturally medium brown hair. I have always looked better with blonde hair, and I went to salons for years to have my hair colored. I can no longer afford the $100+ visits every 3 weeks, so I have tried doing it myself. Recently I used Color Zap to remove all color (because I had several...

Hair so many colors under how do I get rid of them? [ 1 Answers ]

Well I had my hair colored brown red and blonde about 10 mo ago because I had gotten pregnant so I let it grow out a little and now the blonde was really dry and I wanted to cover it up so I colored it dark brown and the blond came right through it so then I did it black and again the blonde came...

View more questions Search