Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Quantum Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2009, 03:47 AM
    Old credit card debit
    Around 16 years ago, I needed to leave the country to settle a situation overseas, and I needed cash to do so. Thus I had withdrawn money from my credit card and I was not able to pay it. Also, I did not inform the credit card company of the overseas address, so they were not able to locate me.

Now I want to come back home.

Can I come back without being questioned about this old debit.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 07:26 AM

There are no guarantees - they will attempt to collect from you forever, even though the Statute has undoubtedly expired.

If the cc company charged you with fraud, then it's a different story.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 08:59 AM

They could have even been granted a default judgment while you were gone and therefore, have the right to garnish any wages that you start to earn... or go after any home that you purchase.

A good idea would be to pull all 3 credit reports on yourself and see what kind of damage is done.

I believe you can also pull your public record (in whatever county you were SUPPOSED to be in at the time) and see if there is any record of a suit there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2009, 09:43 AM

Both good answers. If you apply for any credit, it is likely this old debt will come to light and the current owners of the debt will come after you.

However, if you charged money against your card, then left the country without making payment, you may have been charged with fraud. And once charged the SOL wouldn't expire so there may be an arrest warrant out for you.
    Quantum Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2009, 06:04 AM
    What is SOL for Fraud.

It has been 16 year.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 06:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    What is SOL for Fraud.

It has been 16 year.

If you were charged criminally with fraud and a warrant was issued it never expires.

Go back and re-read my first post on this subject.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 06:07 AM

Hello Q:

If they filed charges and issued a warrant, it NEVER expires...

If they DIDN'T file charges, my bet is the statute of limitations expired after three years.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debit and out of the country [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I've been contemplating defaulting on my credit card loans as I simply do not have the means to pay them. Another thing I that I am no longer living in the US, and do not know when I would be visiting next. However the credit cards that I had back when I was in the US and in school are...

Credit card debit [ 4 Answers ]

Have a chase credit card I am unable to pay minimum and at this time they are not will to set a budget payment plan with me... my concern is that chase now has bought out or taken over the bank I have my checking with and I am concerned that my definency will be taken without my consent from my...

Credit card debit [ 3 Answers ]

Can credit card companies place a lien on a home for debit owed to them?

Credit Card Debit & Death [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed away on March 26, 2007. He lived In The Philippines. All his mail & CC info was being sent to my house in Illinois. On the morning of his death, I,his son purchased a plane ticket to the Philippines using his credit card that was sent to my house. The CC company does/did not know...

View more questions Search