Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Aug 27, 2006, 01:41 PM
    93 FGM Problems
    I have a 93 Grand Marquis that I've been trying to troubleshoot for a while now. I can't really figure out which it could be, no one in town has the diagnostic for the car for some strange reason not even ford. Well, there are places but they want to charge an arm and leg to test it. What's going on is when you first start it, it takes about 5 cranks and lots of gas pedal pushes just for it to start. Then I have to sit there for about 20 minutes for it to warm up until I can drive it. If I try to drive it while cold it pretty much won't go anywhere it crawls at a whopping 5mph and backfires if you get on the gas. When it's warmed up, it takes a while to get back up to speed if you slow down (have to step on the gas). While stopped the gas pedal needs to be pushed down then let off just to go. So that being said I thought it was a fuel pump issue thinking it wasn't getting the efficient amount of gas. Hooked up a gas line gauge to it and it dropped down so that gave me even more reason to think it's the fuel pump. Changed the fuel filter w/ no change. So we tried changing the fuel pump today and come to find out we didn't have the proper tools for the job. The fuel lines are pressurized on the pump, so we couldn't drop the tank. I'm also thinking maybe it could be other things than just the fuel pump maybe the EGR valve or the timing could be off. Tapped the EGR valve to see if it was stuck, no change. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or any suggestions on troubleshooting.

Just want to hurry and fix this problem and give the pos ford back to my step-dad and get a chevy. Very frustrated with this car.:mad:
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2006, 02:20 PM
    When were the spark plugs last changed? Only use the exact Motorcraft plugs that came with the car. You shouldn't even have to touch the gas pedal to get the car to start.
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Aug 27, 2006, 03:11 PM
    The plugs AND cables where changed along with the oil a few months ago. I know I shouldn't have to touch the gas pedal to get it to start that's why I'm asking a question on here.
    kriskstar Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Aug 31, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Did you check the blinker fluid, if it isn't that it could be something with the rear anti-tractual rotating acuator.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Aug 31, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Because it's fuel injected, pumping the gas will not flood the engine as if it were carbarated. What you are doing is giving it more gas (on each crank) and giving it more air (with the petal down). I would look at a weak spark.

Especially since you recently replaced the plugs. Did you get the right plugs?

You shoud replace the cap and rotor and check that the plugs and plug wires are seated properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Big Problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a few big problems with a new computer I purchased. I would really like to know if I can fix these problems, or if I need to return the computer.

Gun problems [ 2 Answers ]

My wife loves playing paintball and so do I my question is my wife's gun has messed up the o-ring busted and I replaced it, but air still leaks out.I checked everything twice to see if their was anything else but I can't find anything.does anyone have any clue what's going on.

Dvd problems [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes I absolutely can not get my DVD player to play a DVD. I can usually get the DVD to play on my computer but I much prefer to watch it on the TV. Any suggestions?

IP Cop problems [ 7 Answers ]

I have an IP Cop firewall that I am using to split my network in half. My setup consists of a Netgear router which goes out to my office netork of 5 or so computers, one of which is my IP Cop box. The IP Cop box then goes to a switch which I plug customer computers into. So essentially I have an...

View more questions Search