Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevelake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Fuel in crankcase, Briggs & Stratton engine
    I have a Toro mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine (model: 312777. Type: 0128E1), OHV 4-cycle, single-cylinder, 17 hp.

I am getting lots of fuel in the crankcase. (float needle issue? )

Also, what is factory compression? I am getting about 65.

Steve
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2009, 08:09 AM

I can almost guaranty it's a bad needle or seat. Drop the bowl and clean or replace the needle. Flush with some gasby raising and lowering the float with the bowl removed. Plug your model in here and maybe you can reach the manual. Buy Parts, Supplies & Accessories - Briggs & Stratton
    phillymac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2011, 04:25 PM
    I have the 14 hp vanguard single with same problem. I just put an fuel shut off valve between the carb and fuel filter. Just shut valve off and let run carb dry.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2011, 06:20 PM

The rubber tip on the needle valve is wore and needs replaced,That engine has a compression release on it , so 65 means nothing.Shut off isn't fixing anything , it still has a problem .
    Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 16.5 hp OHV Single crankcase fills with gas [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Yard Machines Riding Lawn Mower with a 16.5 HP Briggs and Stratton Single Cylinder OHV that is filling the crankcase with fuel, gasoline. This happens within an hour of mowing. I have dumped the oil twice now and it fills the crankcase within an hour of operation. It is not...

16.5 HP Briggs and Stratton OHV no fuel to engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old Sears mower with a Briggs and Stratton 16HP OHV engine. Last week it started blowing tons of white smoke and stopped running. After some research I decided to change the head gasket and generally clean up the engine. Changed the gasket - no problem, cleaned the bypass valve,...

Briggs & stratton 6hp engine [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper valve setting and how are they to be adjusted?

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

14.5 hp. Briggs & Stratton fuel leakage [ 2 Answers ]

When the fuel tank is filled in my Poulan lawn tractor, gasoline flows into the cylinder freely. The only way to start engine is remove spark plug, drain fuel from cylinder, replace plug and start. Some valve is defective somewhere. Any suggestions about finding problem? I installed an in-line fuel...

View more questions Search