Ask
    331998 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Advance Algebra
    The sum of a number and its reciprocal is 5/12 find the number
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 10, 2009, 06:18 AM

First set up an equation that captures the conditions of the problem. Let x = the unknown number. Its reciprocal is 1/x. So you have

x + 1/x = 5/12.

Now manipulate this to get a quadratic equation which you can solve. You can subtract 5/12 from both sides of the equation so the right hand side becomes 0, then multiply throgh by 12x to get a quadratic equation, and then apply the quadratic formula to solve. You will find that the answer is a complex number (involves square roots of negative numbers).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thanks in advance [ 1 Answers ]

Midland Oil has $1,000 par value bonds outstanding at 8 percent interest. The bonds will mature in 25 years. Compute the current price of the bonds if the present yield to maturity is: a. 7 percent. b. 10 percent. c. 13 percent. 7. Go to Table 10–1 which is based on bonds paying 10 percent...

Need an advance. [ 8 Answers ]

I'm in the process of moving and found a property that I anticipate moving into shortly. To avoid my family from having to move out of state until the middle of Jan. I was thinking about getting a loan from H&R block or Jackson Hewitt, as I believe I understand a lot of places are not doing RAL -...

No-show known in advance by plaintiff atty, my atty not told in advance [ 3 Answers ]

Will I be able to prevail in small claims court against the plaintiff's attorney and/or her? My ex-girlfriend filed a motion for a 2-year protective order to keep me out of our jointly-owned house. At the hearing, she didn't appear, but her attorney truthfully claimed that she was on business...

Pay in advance? [ 4 Answers ]

I've seen a few job listings in the classifieds stating that if you pay an upfront fee they will get you a job. I was wary about this, but that is what my mother said she did 23 years ago to get the job she currently has. I just saw another listing in the paper (And called this one) because it...

View more questions Search