Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yogiP Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 03:49 PM
    Filling or Crown?
    [F]Hi
    I've had a tooth nightmare since October... beginning with the removal of an old filling and ending with a root canal two months later. The tooth hurt constantly and is finally settling down. (I had the root canal in dec.) although the throbbing has finally stopped it is still sensitive to bite down on. I also still have the temp. filling that was put in when I had the root canal. My dentist didn't want to do a crown until the pain was gone. Now he says he can probably just fill it because he said it seems like there is enough enamel on the tooth to support the filling. Does this make any sense to anyone?
    I think it's because he knows it's still sensitive... and shouldn't be . He asked me what I WANTED TO DO. Well, how should I know what's best... HE'S the dentist.
    What is the BEST thing to do at this point...
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 04:02 PM

If the tooth is still giving you problems I'd go with a temporary filling (which I'd think is in it now). The problem is, with the tooth having had a root canal it is at a greater risk of breaking. When root canalled teeth break they often can't be repaired and have to be removed.

Mar 9, 2009, 04:15 PM

Yes, there is a temporary filling in it already. Since December, when I had the root canal done.
    So am I better off just getting the crown?

There is still no answer as to why the tooth is still sore. Neither my dentist or the endodontist know why it still hurts to bite down.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Mar 9, 2009, 07:52 PM

Dude... The tooth might be cracked! Or the root canal procedure could have ended up in a hole in the inner part of the tooth (perforation), or left some tissue in the canal. I doubt the bite is high with a temp filling. If it's cracked, it will need to be extracted. It's normal for it to be sensitive after a root canal, but only for a week or so. I'd manage the pain with Ibuprofen (if you aren't allergic/sensitive to it) and wait it out. Go with a regular filling (the temp will leak and ruin the root canal over time) and don't eat anything real hard for the time being. Then get a crown later (if it settles down)

Mar 10, 2009, 12:24 PM
    the endodontist took more x-rays and said everything looked good. Wouldn't they have noticed a crack or anything else?

I'm afraid tis going to crack when they remove the temp. filling. Its been in there since December. What are the chances of that? Great or small?
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 06:01 PM

A crack cannot be seen with an x-ray. The dentist has to remove the filling and take a good look for a crack. I'd be afraid to do anything permanent until you are having no problem with the tooth what so ever. Is there another endodontist you can have assess the tooth?

Mar 11, 2009, 02:13 PM

two different endodontists looked at the tooth. Both took x-rays. They are both from the same office... but neither found anything wrong with it.
    my regular dentist suggested I wait to have a crown... since it still hurts... but should I also wait to have a perm. Filling put in also. I'm afraid the temp. filling is going to fall out.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2009, 04:53 PM

I'd try to see an endodontist in a different office. You can have the permanent filling done it's another expense that you will eventually see go down the drain.

Mar 11, 2009, 05:39 PM

Why will it be another expense that will go down the drain? Do you think eventually the tooth will need to be pulled.
    Also, what can another endodontist see/do at this point that my regular dentist can't do. Wouldn't it be less expensive ? Although, my own dentist doesn't know what's wrong with it anyway.
    I should have had it pulled MONTHS ago.
    Thanks for your input.
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 05:32 PM

If there IS a crack in the tooth, yes, the tooth will need to be pulled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown vs. Post crown [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with a dental office I recently began visiting. Two dentists are at the site (one is retiring) and one recommends one thing, then when I sit in the chair to get the work done the other dentist comes in and recommends something completely different. I am going to...

Do I need a new crown? [ 1 Answers ]

I had to change dentists because my old dentist went out of business. This new dentist wants me to get a new crown. It is fricking $800 out of my pocket. Can someone look at the X-ray and help me determine if I need a new crown?

Crown Lengething .how long before crown put on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding crown lengething. I had the procedure done when I had my wisdom teeth removed on a back molar and a temporary was placed on that tooth. Due to insurance issues I was not able to get the perminate till after the new year. How long does it take for the area to heal and...

Can someone tell me about a crown? [ 5 Answers ]

When is it necessary to get a crown?

Dentistry: root canal filling and crown? [ 1 Answers ]

I have to have a root canal filling and then a crown, my dentist said suggested a gold crown, hoever I would like to have a white tooth as it will show even though at the side. Has anyone had dentistry abroad? Can anyone recommend a dentist in a country that is cheaper than England... I have so...

View more questions Search