Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nesh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 01:00 PM
    Adopting a step child
    I am married 3 years to my husband. My husband has a 10 year old son from a previous marriage that lasted 6 months. I am the 10 year old his Stepmom.
    My husband and I have a two and a half year old daughter together. We want to get started on adopting my 10 year old stepson asap.
    My husband has had temporary full custody of his son since he was 3 years old. His son has not seen his biological mother since he was three, nor has not contributed to our 10 year old financially or attempted to reach him. His biological mom is also remarried.

Basically my 10 year old and his biological mother would be strangers if they ever saw each other today.

Is this called abandonment? What are our chances of me adopting my stepson with out his biological mom's consent? Does a judge take into consideration my husband and I have a child together, and I have been the caretake for our 10 year old son full time since the age of 5.
    Appreciate any and all feedback.

Sincerely,
    Nesh
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 01:34 PM

Your chances of adopting without her consent are effectively none. It CAN be done, but a termination of parental rights is almost never granted if there isn't crime involved. Just being non-supportive does not constitute grounds.

Have you tried to have child support enforced? Getting that rolling might encourage her to allow the adoption. Has she told you that she will not allow it?

Your current situation, other than being the step mother, factors little into the matter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 01:51 PM

No the judge does not take any of those things into consideration basically, unless there is rights signed over by the other parent.

And of course that is part of the issue if you have not been forcing the other parent to pay child support, if they were having to pay they are often more willing to sign over rights to get out of paying.

But most states ( in the US) merely not seeing the child and not paying support is not enough to take away their rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting my Step Son [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have had full custody of my son for many years and his Bio-mother is not involved in his life except for an occasional phone call every 6 months or so. She recently agreed to give up rights of him so that I may adopt him. We are in Texas. Is there an easy way to do this or do...

Adopting my step daughter [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to adopt my step daughter? The situation is that her father is on the birth certificate but does not play a role in her life. My wife has full legal custody and a protective order agonist the father preventing him of knowing where we live. He pays no child support or has no...

Adopting my step daughter [ 2 Answers ]

How do I legally adopt my step daughter what steps do I need to take I'm caring for her

Adopting my step daughter [ 3 Answers ]

My step daughter is 18 mts old, her biological father does not see or speak to her(through his own choice). My wife and I are considering that I adopt faith(stepdaughter). However as neither of us have ever done this before it would be useful to know where to start. So if anyone knows how to start...

Adopting my step-daughter [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been raising his daughter on his own since she was about 6 weeks old. When we started dating she was a little over 2 years old. Her birth mother has been in and out of her life since she was born and pretty much just did it because of a jealousy thing. She had weekend visitation on...

View more questions Search