Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2009, 10:43 AM
    Subpena As A Witness!
    If a witness is subpenaed to testify in Orange County, Florida, given the distance to the traveled area would be 2.5 hours without traffic:

A. Does the person get paid for the work day?
    B. Does the person get paid for the travel expenses?
    C. Does the person get paid for the appearance?

D. What other routes/methods can be taken to avoid the travel time involved?
    E. Are there any consequences if the witness cannot appear?

Thanks so much for your time!

God Bless :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2009, 10:47 AM

A-C: No
    D: See if the attorneys will agree to take your deposition closer to home and, at a more convenient time.
    E: A contempt of court citation.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2009, 09:13 PM

A. No. Not unless you are an expert.
    B. You should have been given a check along with the Subpoena for travel expenses. You can call up the attorney's office and tell them they forgot the check for travel expenses. It's usually so much per mile.
    C. No. Not unless you are an expert.
    D. If this is for a Court appearance for some kind of trial, there are no other remedies other than show up in person.
    E. Contempt of Court.

Mar 10, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    B. You should have been given a check along with the Subpoena for travel expenses. You can call up the attorney's office and tell them they forgot the check for travel expenses. It's usually so much per mile.
    Can you back that up? I don't recall any requirement that witnesses (other than experts) be offerred any compensation for their time or travel. It may be a local requirement, but certainly not universal.

D. If this is for a Court appearance for some kind of trial, there are no other remedies other than show up in person.
    It is certainly possible for a deposition to be taken locally and stipulated to at trial.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 05:40 PM

In Florida and Ohio a witness is given a check from the attorney for travel expenses to show up at a trial and testify. I used to attach the travel checks to the subpoenas all the time. OP did say it was Orange County, Florida.

For depositions there was no travel check attached to the Deposition Subpoena.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2009, 06:44 PM

Also did we ask what type of court trial. Criminal or civil??

If criminal, are they are witness for the DA or the Defense.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2009, 06:48 PM
    In Florida and Ohio a witness is given a check from the attorney for travel expenses to show up at a trial and testify. I used to attach the travel checks to the subpoenas all the time. OP did say it was Orange County, Florida.

For depositions there was no travel check attached to the Deposition Subpoena.

Same in NY - a certain amount per mile, round trip, on witness Subpoenas. No check, no need to appear. I don't know about Florida.

Mar 10, 2009, 07:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Same in NY - a certain amount per mile, round trip, on witness Subpoenas. No check, no need to appear. I don't know about Florida.
    Hmm, I wasn't aware that subpeoned witnesses had to be compensated. Is this in both criminal and civil cases?
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Hmm, I wasn't aware that subpeoned witnesses had to be compensated. is this in both criminal and civil cases?

I don't serve papers on criminal cases so that I can't answer. In civil cases, yes (in NY). The mileage check is on an Attorney's account (so it's considered guaranteed funds) for X cents a mile, round trip, residence to Courthouse - or Attorney's office. No check, no need to appear.

On a few occasions I've seen a check for photocopy charges also attached. I think that's out of the goodness of the Attorney's heart or else pre arranged.

If the appearance is cancelled, the person subpoenaed gets to keep the money. Of course, it's pennies and hardly worthwhile.

The exception is expert witnesses who get exactly zip but do get paid a legal expert fee.

This doesn't answer OP's question about Florida, of course, because things vary State by State but that's how it works.

Mar 11, 2009, 08:11 AM

Well Twinkie said it applies to FL so I won't argue. I guess my knowledge was based on criminal cases, so there may be a difference between civil and criminal in this practice.
    gingerrogers77 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2009, 09:51 AM

Thanks so much for all your responses! We called March 16, 2009 and the Defendant took a plea and no trial was needed! :)
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerrogers77 View Post
    Thanks so much for all your responses! We called March 16, 2009 and the Defendant took a plea and no trial was needed! :)

Thanks for coming back and letting us know - always good to hear how things work out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name of toy in the movie Witness [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of the toy that in the movie Witness, Harrison Ford built for the little amish boy? It's a wooden toy that once the marble has been released it travels up and down and all around causing reactions to the force of the marble. I've seen them in all different sizes and shapes but just...

Jehovahs witness [ 22 Answers ]

Well my parents are basically christian only um.. a little more... hardcore. Like they follow the scriptures as law and as a basis for life. In everyway. And I'm now 14 and for the past couple of years I have know that I don't agree with most of their beliefs. But its really starting to bother me...

How do I see somebody in witness protection [ 4 Answers ]

How do I visit somebody in witness protection

Need Witness [ 4 Answers ]

We are getting married in brisbane in march at a court house .sweet and simple We don't know anyone in brisbane how do we get 2 witnesses?We are getting married on the 28th March 2008:p ;)

Witness program [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you so much for your input. Mr. Fr_Chuck

View more questions Search