Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helphungry Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 05:36 AM
    People Are Accessing My Hard Drives!
    Hello There!

We have a LAN Network & there are 50 computers in that LAN connected through some routers. One of the users is accessing my hard drives & stealing data. I don't know how to prevent him & how he's doing that?
    I have Windows-XP (SP2) firewall is enable. There is no possibility that he had installed any spyware or else, because I repartitioned my drive & made XP's fresh installation & as soon I connect to that network he makes his trick & (WITHIN 10 MINUTES) again he access my drives.

He's stealing my data. I'm in great trouble. Please HELP ME!

Thank You In Advance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Of course no matter what protection you use there are hackers who are better, many do it for sport to see what they can do. I would ask how do you know they are stealing your data, since if they do it property, you would never know??

Also have you called the police and report the crime ?

And have you looked at using additional pass word protection on various programs and data in your computer.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2006, 05:56 AM
    What symptoms do you see that suggest that someone is accessing your hard drive?

Aug 27, 2006, 10:24 AM
    HOW I KNEW HE'S STEALING?

Actually he works in our company & he's using same LAN network in my home town we prepare survey sheets at home I'm always good in my company for preparing best survey sheets. He's jealous & steals my reports and send them before me & so he gets my benefits. He nakedly say that I'll steal your work.

Please tell me a solution to prevent him doing that!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 27, 2006, 10:35 AM
    Have you spoken to your bosses? Have you checked with the IT people for your company?

I'm a bit confused about contradictory statements you have made. First you spoke about a company LAN of about 50 PCs. Then you speak about a network in your home town and working at home. So you need to give us more details about this LAN.

One thing I would do, is NOT store important data on your hard drive, get a USB flash drive and put the important files on that drive. Do your work offline and only connect to the LAN when you need to.

You also didn't really define how you know he's accessing your files. Is there anything specific that can identify stuff you wrote? You might also try putting some incorrect data into a report and inform your bosses about it.

This issue is really bigger than him stealing your data. If what you say is true this person needs to be dealt with by your employers.

Aug 27, 2006, 11:49 AM
    Yes Scott you're right I should do my work offline and transfer it to safe location before connecting to LAN.

But it's a mistry for me how he's able to break-in to someone's PC.

Thanks for help & your kind reply:)

Aug 27, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Again, we haven't seen any proof that he is breaking in. There are a number of ways that he might be getting data off your drive, but since you have been vague about the configuration of the LAN, we can't really speculate.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 28, 2006, 11:52 AM
    Is your lan setup as a workgroup or a domain?

You could try changing the passwords for access but you should speak to the network administrator at your company about doing this.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 28, 2006, 11:55 AM
    There is a very simple resolution to this issue.
    DON'T store any sensative material on your hard drive. Make use of a Flash/Jump drive which you carry with you at all times and ONLY connect when you need to use it.

Aug 28, 2006, 11:58 AM
    I hit the wrong button, what my comment was trying to say was:

I suspect that this other guy has been trying to get the OP's goat by claiming to be stealing. I've seen no proof that its actuall being done.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 12:42 AM
    Everyone else is right. If you suspect he is stealing - go to your employer. This isn't something that should just be just forgotten. One suggestion though - get a better firewall than the built in Windows one. It's useless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two hard drives [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a computer with Windows ME installed on the slave drive,and I just installed Windows XP Home on the Master drive. What I would like to be able to do is use either OS I want. Rght now I can use the XP home OS but not the Windows ME OS. I can open the drive with Windows ME on it by going...

2 hard drives 2 os's 2 people ugh! [ 14 Answers ]

Ok here's the deal... My girlfriend had a really old hp computer running windows 98, it was fried, but the hard drive was still OK, so I took that out of the old computer, threw away the rest of it. I have a new Hp, running Windows XP home. So I figured I would put her hard drive in to my...

Hard drives [ 3 Answers ]

I want to clean my hard drive and reinstall windows and hardware. How Thanks Fred ? :-/

Running 2 hard drives [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a naïve when it comes to setting up computers, recently I acquired a computer with a fried motherboard but the hard drive is fine and I want to run both hard drives in my existing computer, one for the operating system and one for my junk that currently slows down my computer. I have...

Hard Drives [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question on SATA Hard Drives. I am planning on installing 1 SATA Drive, and I have 1 IDE drive also, I want to use, Which would be the Master, or can it be either, I know with IDE you use Slot 1 for Master and then if you want to have a slave. But with SATA I am not sure how that...

View more questions Search