Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlh33904 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Salt from water softener contaminated hot water pipes
    Since I could not lift bags of salt to fill the container of my water softener, I just unplugged the softener instead of turning off the main valve; therefore, apparently the water continued to flow through the remaining salt until it was gone. In the last year, I have been through two brand new water heaters, since apparently the salt has contaminated the hot water pipes; i.e. when I wash my hair, my hair is left with a slimy, grimy, oily slick texture. If I wash my hair with cold water, it's O.K. How long will it take for the salt to get out of the hot water pipes? One plumber told me it could take up to ten years. Is this correct? I have since had my water softener removed. The city water inspectors have tested my water; and no contamination was found other than this built-up salt in the lines.
    water_doctor Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2009, 08:33 AM

The problem is that you water is not running through the salt. The salt comes into account only in a regeneration cycle. You very well could have some bacteria growth going on in your softener however. See the softener itself is full of a lot of resin beads that actually attract the calcium/magnesium (hard water) out of your water. But over time those beads get coated and that is where the salt comes in. During a regeneration process your softener actually draws the brine solutions (salt water) into the softener and washes the beads (some science is involved, if you would like to know then I can explain it later) but the brine actually washes all the calcium off the beads so they will be ready to attract more as the water going to the rest of your house passes over them. So with just the softener sitting there and not going through a regular regeneration cycle, those resin beads are coated with calcium and are basically as if there is no softener at all. UNLESS there is some bacteria growing in your softener, which could happen (again a long explanation could be given but just know that that can happen).

What I would recommend is at the top of the softener where the water pipes go in and out there should be an apparatus that will allow you to by pass the softener and still keep water going to the rest of your house. (Either moving a switch to by-pass, or pushing a dial in. or closing off two valves and opening another in the middle.) That way you can either replace your softener, or just completely disconnect it and not have to worry about any bacteria growth. If that doesn't help your showering situation then you might want to have your water checked to see what other sort of bacterias might exist, then you will know how to treat it. We can help you with that as well if you have any further questions.
    Have a great day

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softener salt bridge [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Kenmore water softener about 14-18 mo. Old. For at least 5 mo. I have had a recurring salt bridge. I break it up as per manual instructions, and the salt level goes down about 1/2 inch before the salt bridge recurs. There is no odor, no discoloration, just a water softener that doesn't do...

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Rainsoft Water Softener - Salt tank not filling with water? [ 1 Answers ]

Put a bag of salt in my softener today and it appeared to be way over the brine level. Checked on it a few hours later and still had dry pellets on top. Manually regenerated the system - no fill. Letting it go through its cycle now, but wondering if there's something I'm overlooking. There's...

Water Softener Using Excessive Salt [ 3 Answers ]

I have a water softener that is approximately 10 years old. Over the past few months it Has started to use an excessive amount of salt; now up to about 200 pounds per month. Should I replace it or is there an easy fix?

Water softener doesn't use any salt [ 1 Answers ]

My water softener runs but never uses any salt. Any ideas as to the problem? Thanks

View more questions Search