Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConfusedTeen2nd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 10:10 AM
    One step forward two steps back?
    My girlfriend broke up with me on January and I spent most of February doing the things that your not suppose to do like, calling,begging, etc. I finally got serious and stopped contact with her in mid February but I still think about her though. I keep myself busy till 6pm but after all I do is think about her and I try not to but I just can't help it. Sometimes its real bad and I get an intense hurt it feels like I can never heal. Its like I am taking a step forward and two steps back.Is this normal? I just want to not feel this way anymore
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Ah, first love is the greatest but also the worst. Breaking up is yet another part of growing up. Trust me when I say "It'll be better". Because it will, the only thing that'll make you feel better is time unfortunately. However you can do other things than sit there and mope around:
    -Getting a job to get a car [if you don't have one already]
    -Getting involved in volunteering [it'll help you for college, trust me when I say so]
    -Joining extra curricular activities [basketball, debate team, etc.]

Not only are these things a productive way of spending your time, soon you'll find yourself wrapped up in soccer or whatever you choose, but the main thing is you won't think about her as much anymore and like I said it'll benefit you later [i.e. college, future jobs]

MRS.S

Stay strong =)
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 10:19 AM

This is normal, it takes time for you to heal. Try joining a few new activities or taking up a new hobby.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 10:21 AM

No one wants to feel the way you do, but we have all felt that way, and, no matter how old you are, it sucks. Time, time, and more time. This is probably the hardest thing you have done up to this point in your life... you will be fine, just be patient. It took me a long time to even realize I was taking steps forward... there was a good MONTH solid where I almost felt progressively worse each day... that first part of this process, where you are trying to actually accept it is OVER, is usually the hardest.
    MiSSsy111222 Posts: 267, Reputation: 29

Mar 9, 2009, 10:32 AM

After a while that intense pain stops. The physical symptoms fade away such as the heavy feeling in your chest. And then you are left with the emotional pain. NC helps you deal with this pain, helps your heart heal. Keep it up and keep busy. When you find yourself thinking of her listen to music, its good therapy. No soppy music! read a book,
    Or surf the net.
    anthony1222 Posts: 16, Reputation: -1

Mar 9, 2009, 02:25 PM
    WOW I can relate lol
    When this happened to me I was in your shoes: I kept calling and thinking about her and I tried to forget but I couldn't no matter how hard I tried. NC in this situation is a good start, keep to it. Also, burn/destroy/discard ALL gifts, pictures, etc. from her, it'll only make it hurt worse when you see these things.
    For me that helped but I still had issues with it :/. I made a HUGE mistake and rebounded (I tried to get into a relationship with the first girl who showed interest, didn't work too well) then ended up hurting that girl and myself, DO NOT under any circumstance make the mistake I did. Just give it time and trust me the right girl will come along. Currently I've been blessed with the greatest girl I could ever ask for. Just keep up NC and try and move on SLOWLY and you'll be fine :)
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Mar 9, 2009, 02:31 PM
    What you're going through is normal. I highly recommend the book "How To Survive The Loss Of A Love", by Peter McWilliams, Harold Bloomfield, and Melba Colgrove. It has some very helpful stuff in it and describes the "one step forward, two steps back" nature of healing from a major loss. You can find it dirt cheap on Amazon. Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A step forward or backward? [ 1 Answers ]

I used to cut myself and I don't regret because now that I look back it made me realize how dumb it really is. I mean yea I had family problems when I was in 6th grade and also medical illness too. I did it because it realived some of the pain from the whole family thing and my illness too. As the...

View more questions Search