Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GEO18 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Electrical receptacles
    I am running # 12 wire into a 15 amp receptacle and would like to run that to a outside 20 amp receptacle can this be done
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 09:18 AM

If there is any 14 gauge wire in the circuit protected by the 15 amp breaker, you cannot change the circuit breaker to a 20 amp circuit. You would have to replace any 14 gauge wire with 12 gauge wire.

If you are simply using an outside receptacle rated at 20 amps, that is permissible.

Outside receptacles must be GFCI protected circuits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing 2 prong electrical receptacles without a ground to three prong with ground [ 1 Answers ]

How can I change all the two prong receptacles without a ground mounted in plastic outlets boxes to 3 prong receptacles with ground ?

Receptacles near bath tub [ 18 Answers ]

My wife and I are converting half of a bedroom into a bathroom and a walk-in closet. There is a electrical receptacle across from the future location of the bathtub -- about 3 feet from where the water will be. Is this safe? (i.e. is this acceptable within the electrical code?) I...

Gfci receptacles [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to install two GfCI Breakers on 3 Wire circuit with a shared neutral. I need to protect the normal receptacles downstream from the GFCI breakers

Backwire receptacles [ 9 Answers ]

Anybody know if it's possible to get electrical receptacles for a 20 amp circuit that are backwired to accept 20 gauge wire? All I ever see is 15 amp size. They are so simple and quick. I want to add a new line and outlets in the kitchen so we can use the coffeemaker, microwave and toaster all at...

15 or 20 amp receptacles? [ 6 Answers ]

I had my electric service upgraded 18 years ago and had the electrician install two GFCI's, One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. They are on separate circuits by themselves. They are each on a 20 amp breaker with 12 gauge wire and the GFCI's are rated 15 amp with 20 amp feed through. My...

View more questions Search