Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ayalaa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 07:37 AM
    Water heater will not stay on
    After turning on the pilot, turning the gas control knob from pilot to on setting, then when adjusting the temperature dail, this is when then water heater turns off.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Check/clean pilot orifice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 02:01 PM

By turns off I assume you mean the pilot goes out, right?
    ayalaa Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    By turns off I assume you mean the pilot goes out, right?
    Correct, the pilot turns off.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Many times the pilot lite is to weak/small to sustain itself during ignition of the main burner. Check/clean pilot orifice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 06:52 PM

Trying some detective work here. Turn the temperature dial up to HOT before you light the pilot. Now light the pilot and turn the knob to ON from PILOT. Tell us exactly what you observe in the pilot flame, keep your eye on it but not near it. I'd also follow hvac's advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater won't stay lit [ 4 Answers ]

We have a power vent water heater that only lights intermittently. Have to turn unit off and on several times before it will light. Have read trouble shooting manual which mentions that it could be due to low gas pressure. Have had two different plumbers check unit and are unable to help. They...

Water Heater won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

Our water heater is 2 1/2 years old, we can get it lit but after about an hour it goes out... do you think the problem is the thermocouple?

Water Heater Won't Stay Lit! [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a townhouse that is only about two years old. Whenever the wind blows hard outside the pilot light on my hot water heater goes out. I cannot get it relit and when I am on the floor you can feel the wind blowing underneath the unit. ANY words of advice. I had a plumber out about three...

Hot Water Heater won't stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a 5 year old 50 gallon Bradford White gas hot water heater which will not stay lit. The pilot will light when the unit has cooled down and will stay lit. The burner lights fine when the thermostat is adjusted. However once the tank has reached temperature the pilot goes out and...

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, last Friday BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) turned off the gas supply to a couple row houses on my block. They said water had gotten in the gas line and they were in the process of clearing it out. On Tuesday, when I was able to get my heat back (electric ignitor), the service guy tried to...

View more questions Search