Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunny1ib Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2009, 06:40 AM
    Dishwasher Dirt
    I have a new dishwasher (new being approximately 1.5 yrs old). However, the machine does not seem to get my glasses clean. There is typically sand and food debris inside that requires a handwash. I have tried running the hot water from the faucet first and then turning the machine on; I have switched from liquid detergent back to powder. Any other ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 9, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny1ib View Post
    I have a new dishwasher (new being approximately 1.5 yrs old). However, the machine does not seem to get my glasses clean. There is typically sand and food debris inside that requires a handwash. I have tried running the hot water from the faucet first and then turning the machine on; I have switched from liquid detergent back to powder. Any other ideas?
    Tell me more about this dishwasher. Did it work for 1 1/2 years and just start to give problems? Pump or city water? Remove the aerator from the sink spout and check to see if any sand's inj the screens? Does not the DW pump pump out all the dirty water?: What type od air gap do you have? Counter top or high loop?(see images) Let me have more details. Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 08:41 AM

You are probably getting sand in your water from the street / well. You may install filter on your incoming water pipe to filter out the sediment.

Mar 9, 2009, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Tell me more about this dishwasher. Did it work for 1 1/2 years and just start to give problems? Pump or city water? Remove the aerator from the sink spout and check to see if any sand's inj the screens? Does not the DW pump pump out all the dirty water?: What type od air gap do you have? Counter top or high loop?(see images) Let me have more details. regards, Tom
    Sorry Tom. I thought that my telepathic image reached you! :D

The dishwasher is new. My previous dishwasher which I thought worked really well exhibited the first signs of dirt on the dishes after it went thru the full washing/clean cycling. As my previous dishwasher was "older" I opted to upgrade rationalizing the new purchase. The new dishwasher has picked up where the old one left off. This is SRQ county water. I did not see any sand in the aerator. The DW pump appears to pump out the dirty water (at least I do not see any physical evidence at the bottom of the dishwasher). I believe I have a high loop.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2009, 06:59 AM
    Hi Neighbor,
    SRQ, Do you live near the airport? I live just north of there on Bowlies Creek next to Sarasota Bay.I retired from Arrow Plumbing in Sarasota. And are you on Sarasota County water? Call the water department,( I'm on Manatee County water) and ask if any work has been done in your area of late. There isn't any sand in any of your aerators? Dirt on the dishes but not in the DW sump? Very strange! Yes you probably have a high loop. That's all we install in Sarasota. Have you any more details to give me? Cheers, tom[

Mar 24, 2009, 04:39 PM
    Hi Neighbor,
    SRQ, Do you live near the airport? I live just north of there on Bowlies Creek next to Sarasota Bay.I retired from Arrow Plumbing in Sarasota. And are you on Sarasota County water? Call the water department,( I'm on Manatee County water) and ask if any work has been done in your area of late. There isn't any sand in any of your aerators? Dirt on the dishes but not in the DW sump? Very strange!! Yes you probably have a high loop. That's all we install in Sarasota. Have you any more details to give me?? Cheers, tom[
    No, I live in the South Gate area. Yes, absolutely on SRQ Cty H2O. There has been the "BIG" initiative to change over all residences in our area from septic to sewer. I have not heard anything about the water line being messed with. I just cleared out the screen in the faucet tap and it had a lot of what looked like coffee grounds coming out of it. I've in this house for 10 years and have not seen this stuff before. It's pretty gross, thank goodness for filtered water! I have not done anymore to the dishwasher deal yet as I finally got my bathroom closet flange project completed.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2009, 05:43 AM
    I just cleared out the screen in the faucet tap and it had a lot of what looked like coffee grounds coming out of it.
    Do you have a water softener installed? South Gate Huh? I'd have though that the city would have installed city sewers in your area years ago. Back in the 60's I put a septic tank in your area. It rained for three days steady and that septic tank came shooting up out of the ground ike a cork bobber on a fishing line. Lottsa fun putting it back down! I have fond memories od South Gate. Did you call the city and inquire about work in your area? Regards, Tom

May 4, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Do you have a water softener installed? South Gate Huh? I'd have though that the city would have installed city sewers in your area years ago. Back in the 60's I put a septic tank in your area. It rained for three days steady and that septic tank came shooting up outta the ground ike a cork bobber on a fishing line. Lottsa fun putting it back down! i have fond memories od South Gate. Did you call the city and inquire about work in your area? Regards, Tom

I have to say, the image of a septic tank shooting up as described was pretty funny. It could be a scene right out of a Stephen King novel. :p I can't imagine that you thought it was funny at the time though, must have been really "crappy" if it was all hooked up. No, we are in the county portion of SG. Will be contacting the H2O authority about the dirt.

Thank you much for your help!
    Eternal Plumber

May 4, 2009, 11:38 AM
    You didn't answer my question which was ,"Do you have a water softener?" If you do this could be the source of the crud you're finding. Cheers, tom

May 4, 2009, 01:16 PM
    Sorry, I was way too amused with the septic tank comment. No, I do not have a water softener installed.
    Eternal Plumber

May 4, 2009, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny1ib View Post
    Sorry, I was way too amused with the septic tank comment. No, I do not have a water softener installed.
    Then the city must have done some work on the street main and you simply drew up the dirt in your system.
    About that septic tank. It was 500 gallons and we installed it on a Friday. As a rule we don't fillthe tan ks once they're in the ground but a heavy three days of rain brought the water table up. And the tank came up with it.
    Man! It must have been like one of those old timey horror flicks where the ground swells up, bursts open and out climbs a zombie. Let me know if the dirt persists. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dirt bikers? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to get a owners or repair manuel for a 2005 honda crf 230. How do I do that?

I think its dirt. [ 12 Answers ]

I have light brown caramel colored skin. After I'm done showering and start to dry off I can rub off a layer of something all over my body. It kind peels off like a thin layer of clay all over my body. It is dark gray. What is this thin layer of stuff and how do I get rid of it? I've tried all...

Big mound of dirt [ 1 Answers ]

We just moved into a house with a enormous mound of dirt in the back yard. It is so big that are dog keeps jumping over the fence. What is the best way of removing this dirt? We have already removed 6 wheelbarrow full of dirt and re-alocated it throughout the garden. My husband says it would take...

Cat dirt in my garden [ 11 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me a proven cure for keeping cats out of my garden, I've tried orange peel, garlic cloves and other than getting a dog don't know what to do next. I don't want to hurt them, just don't want them making my garden smelly.

View more questions Search