Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanhanul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 08:25 PM
    What is BSP? Is it same as TP? Pipe thread type
    Confusing. I have an order and the customer asks a pipe which has BSP threaded.
    And I found two terms about BSP. One is BSPP and the other BSPT. What I heard BSP and TP pipe tread is same . Am I right?

One more!
    Is NPT and PT same?

Thank you in advance.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2009, 09:02 PM

You pose an interesting question and for the most part, it probably depends on the industry.

In general parallel and tapered threads depend on the industry. Plumbing will typically use tapered threads and a lamp manufacturer will use strait threads. The lamp manufacturer will refer to his stock as threaded and so would a plumber. They should do that internally only.

So, BSPP is British Standard Pipe Parallel. This is similar to NPS or National Pipe Straight

BSPT is British Standard Pipe Taper. This is similar to NPT or National Pipe Taper.

BSP (Brittish STandard Pipe) and TP (Tapered Pipe) makes sense. Not 100% correct, but makes sense.

And NPT (National Pipe Thread) and PT (Pipe thread) makes sense too.

I'd question someone in the US ordering British pipe threads and also question someone in Britain ordering US pipe threads. A lamp manufacturer ordering brass pipe is probably going to be straight or parallel.

I think it's in your best interest to ask for a clarification.

If I wanted a 1/4" threaded pipe for a lamp, I'd expect it threaded as straight.

If I wanted a 1/4" threaded fitting for a water line, I'd expect it to be tapered.

If You are an international company that deals with many standards, don't get burnt... Ask.
    tlucca2256 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 12:00 PM
    BSPP: British Standard Parallel Pipe Threads
    BSTP: British Standard Tapered Pipe Threads
    I've never heard of PT.
    So you have to ask someone who designed.
    Reference link for NPT=National Taper Pipe Thread
    NPT-American National Taper Pipe Threads, Basic Demensions

Quote Originally Posted by sanhanul View Post
    Confusing. I have an order and the customer asks a pipe which has BSP threaded.
    And I found two terms about BSP. One is BSPP and the other BSPT. What I heard BSP and TP pipe tread is same . Am I right?

One more!!
    Is NPT and PT same?

Thank you in advance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which type of pipe is best? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a bathroom and the galvanized steel pipes are pretty rusty and just hard to work with. Would CPVC be a suitable replacement? It seems to be easy to work with. If not, what might be a better choice?

What type of pipe did I screw into? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Not sure if I should be posting this in electrical vs plumbing. I was placing screws in the bathroom wall to secure a towel rack that my little daughter yanked off the wall :( I used an old stud detector and it indicated a stud was behind the drywall. I then screwed in a drywall...

Leaky Pipe Thread [ 10 Answers ]

I am threading a male 3/4 in. copper connector into a female cast metal valve body. The first time I used 3 wraps of teflon tap and it leaked. The second time I used Master Pumber TFE past and it leaked after 10 minutes. I allowed the paste to dry for 1/2 hour before turning on the water supply....

Pipe type for drain [ 1 Answers ]

An someone please explain the difference between dvw and water pipe as it pertaines to copper pipe fittings thanks tallgrass:o :o :confused: :o

How much pipe thread tape to use? [ 5 Answers ]

Yikes. I was installing the tub spout and the copper stub-out was way too long. I measure and measured again and cut it too short. It doesn't extend far enough Into the spout to seal. Can I use silicone or something? What others options To I have? The spout is the type you described in a...

View more questions Search