Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ranchod Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Federal Tax - H1B - India - Withholding
    || Sarvam Krishna Arpanam ||

Hi,

I have moved to Chicago (from India) in December 2008. I would be grateful if someone can give me some insights on the following

I think that there is some tax- treaty between US and India. Can someone let me know at what rate will I be charged federal taxes? My employer has withheld as per the standard US slabs and has asked me for a link which would show up the rate considering the treaty benefits. My salary is at 40000 USD per year.

I am on a H1B visa from India

Thanks for your time and efforts

Regards
    Prakash
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 09:32 PM

Did you receive W2 for 2008? If yes, is the income over $3500? Any federal income tax withheld? Read about H1-B: http://taxipay.blogspot.com/2008/08/us-visas.html
    ranchod Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    Did you receive W2 for 2008? If yes, is the income over $3500? Any federal income tax withheld? Read about H1-B: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    Income was less than 3500 and no federal taxes were withheld. But, my question is for year 2009. My employer has started with holding federal tax at normal rates. He says that there is some treaty with India which helps in reducing the federal tax. He wants a reference which shows the rate of fed IT for an Indian citizen working in US on a H1B visa.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 10:52 PM

On H1-B, you pay taxes as normal U.S. resident or citizen. You do not get any treaty deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US-India Tax treaty for students from India [ 13 Answers ]

I found out that for Students from India studying in USA under US-India Tax treaty , I can claim $5450 standard exemption under Article 21(2) . IS this true? Thaks in advance!

Filing federal tax from India through mail [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in US in Jan & Feb 08 on L1B. Now I am back in India. Please let me know if I have to file the tax returns 08 from India, where should I send the courier of paper return? I am unable to file it online because I am in India. Also I need to file tax return for IL state. Please let me know...

Withholding Federal and State Taxes in NYC for last paycheck of year [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking to change my withholding status for my final monthly paycheck of the year in a few weeks. I expect the amount to be 15K. I’m looking to make an investment in early January and would like to find a way to pay no or minimal taxes on the last monthly check. I figure the amount in...

US Withholding Tax [ 2 Answers ]

I am a foreign national, living outside the United States. I do not own a home in the United States. I have a home in the UK where I spend some time but my permanent residence is in India and I have a home there. Am I liable to pay US Withholding Tax. What are the rules? Is there a US-India...

Federal Wage information is missing in my W2. How can I pay my Federal tax? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Last year, I was working as F1 in OPT. As F1, I can exempt from society security tax and medicare tax. But the accounting company also exempted my Federal tax and told me that was the way to do it. I thought I could report my Federal tax later, so I let it go. But right now, I get my...

View more questions Search