Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lburkett1952 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 06:34 PM
    Collection of a Previously Discharged Debt
    Is it legal to collect on a debt that was legally discharged in a bankruptcy 12 years ago?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2009, 06:44 PM

No
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 06:48 PM

No it is not legal, was it "sold" to a third party that may not be aware ?

You merely send them a copy of he discharge papers and the listing showing this debt included.

Of course some debts can't ( in the US) be discharged such as student loans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cancled Debt and Collection Debt showing up on Report [ 5 Answers ]

2 Questions I have a 1099-C from 2007, regarding a credit card debt that was canceled. Just today, I was notified I had a collection account appear on my report. (I have credit guard watch). I understand I have to claim the 1099-C on my Taxes as "income" on my report. (1) Since I have...

Debt collection [ 3 Answers ]

Wondering if there was a time limit a business can collect on a debt. I received a bill from and urgent care facility from jan. 3, 2005. All this time thought insurance pd it. Now we don't even have the same insurance company they said it cannot be sent to secondary because primary did not respond...

Debt collection [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy, 4 years ago I let a credit card charge off for $11,700. A law firm bought the debt and until last year I had paid it down to $6700. I just haven't had the money to pay them. I earned 28k last year and my YTD is 7k for this year. I just got a court summons. I assume my wages will be...

View more questions Search