Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dcm_bg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2009, 05:21 PM
    I bought a bike and the person I bought from sold it
    I bought 2 dirt bikes the were listed on carig list in ny so I want and saw the bike and agreed that I will give him the full asking price for both which was $650 total of $1300. I paid in cash I get a resit and a bill of sale for both. I told him I was going to get the bikes in couple of weeks which it didn't happen I had to leave the country and I didn't contact him cause I was over seas and I lost all his information. So I came back after 2 month trying to get the bikes and he told me that he sold them as parts because he left them out side for a while and some one bought them I just want to know what are my leagl rights I spoke to him and he want to offer me other bike but the are no good so I don't know what should I do.
    crazybird Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Mar 8, 2009, 05:26 PM

Deffinately submit a complaint with small claims court. Never, ever pay for anything in cash. If you do, get a receipt with signatures so that you have proof in a court of law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2009, 05:30 PM

Depends on the wording of the receipt and bill of sale. Since you did not contact the seller for more than 2 months, you may have forfeited your rights.

If you sue him, he may countersue for storage fees that might wipe out the $1300 you paid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 05:32 PM

Yes tough call here, first you will need or should have your bill of sale as proof.

But you did not pick it up, and in many cases allows them to dispose of it.

Have you asked for your money back, what did they saw at that point

Mar 8, 2009, 06:57 PM

Scottgem,
    I did not realize you could forfeit your rights. Even though he paid for the item?

I can see if he hadn't paid for it and the seller was waiting for him to come and purchase the item and then couldn't wait no longer.

I am assuming he still has the paperwork of course. If not I do not see how he can win the case.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybird View Post
    Scottgem,
    I did not realize you could forfeit your rights. But he already paid for the item.
    Which is why, when answering a question on a legal board, you should be careful that you know the law.

People abandon property all the time. Look at a layaway contract. If you don't come and claim the item within a reasonable time after completing payment, the store can consider the property abandoned. You can't just expect a seller to hold onto sold property forever.

Mar 8, 2009, 07:15 PM

Scottgem,

You are right and I should not have posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age of appliances (bought used) [ 7 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying used appliances.. but would like to know the exact year I have the model and serial # of the items.. Kenmore Super capacity PLUS WASHER Mod. 110-268-92690 Ser: cf 4946239 80 Series

Want what I bought back [ 5 Answers ]

So after a year of dating and lots of time together we split up. We did not live together, but we talked about it and I was hoping for it to happen at any time and we were technically engaged with no date planned. I bought a new TV and PS3, even a bathroom sink and put it in her place with the...

Bought as-is? [ 2 Answers ]

We just bought our first home, and our paper work clearly states AS-IS. Last week and man came to re-po our water softener(because the previous owners hadn't made a payment in the past 18 months, he didn't take it because I had two small children here-at least that's what he said.. BUT when we...

Sold the puppy I bought her [ 11 Answers ]

I was in a long distance relationship with a very high maintntce girl, for whatever reason I saw myself moving up to virginia with her, so I bought us a dog, and sent it up to her until I would be ready to move up there as well. Long story short, I broke up with her for good reasons, and she...

Bought a car, getting sued [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a debt for 15k w/ Unicredit it used to be Citi which I work for. Citi sold it 3 years ago almost to the date. I bought a new car in Sept. because my old one had 207,000 miles on it. I needed a reliable car cause I work 50 miles away. So yes, new. I owe on a loan for that car 19k and gave...

View more questions Search