Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Speedy232 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 11:30 PM
    Riemann Summs Model
    How would you find the area under a curve of F(x)=X^2 between x=2 and x=10.

I'm puzzled. Ive done as much as I can. Here's what I come up with, but I can't seem to work it out. Lim┬(x→∞)⁡〖((1024n^3+1536n^2+512n)/(6n^3 )〗)+8

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 04:09 AM

Is this a calculus problem? Evaluate the definite integral between X=2 and X=10.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 06:34 AM
    It appears you must use a Riemann sum to evaluate?

The algebra is the killer with these things.

Using the right endpoint method:

... [1]

Now, remember the identities for the sums of the squares of integers and integers.

Sub these in [1] and get:

Take the limit of this:

Note, all terms head toward 0 except 992/3 and that is all that remains. Thus, that must be the area.

Compare this to the actual area which can be found by integrating, as Perito mentioned.

Mar 8, 2009, 10:47 PM

Wow, No wonder it was like a week homework question. This is hard as anything on earth. Why would the teacher make us do this lol? Thank you for all your help. But where you say " Sub these into [1]" what do you actually mean there. Like do you go back to where you said [1] in the 2nd line of the equation? But yeah, that part confuses me. But yeah the area is the definite integral. Thank you so much.

Mar 8, 2009, 11:44 PM

I got another question. How did you get all the numerical values. Obviously my numbers were wrong because I just tried copying off the sheet and multiplying it by whatever it was. But you somehow got the right figures... How..!. Can you explain please
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Yes, sub in the identities for k and k^2 into the formula I provided. It simplifies down and is all in terms of n. Then, if you take the limit as , you get your area under the curve.

What you need to do is see what is going on here. What we are doing is counting up the area of the infinite number of rectangles under the curve.

The area of each rectangle is .

As the number of rectangles, n, becomes unbounded we get the area under the curve.

It's the idea behind integration.

Look it up in any calc book.

When we sub the identities, we get:

Remember the identities I showed you for k and k^2, sub them in:

This all whittles down with algebra to:

Now, it is easy to see as , all we are left with is 992/3 and that is the area under the curve.

Mar 9, 2009, 04:47 PM

Wow... Wow... Wow.. Thank you soooo much. I understand it now and it is actually really simple once you look at it. Can't believe I didn't get that. Thanks for explaining it. I am in your Debt...

Sincere Speedy232

Mar 9, 2009, 10:48 PM

Sorry to bother again. But see how you have

How does that whittle down... As you can tell Integration and algebra arnt really my strength when mixed together. I honestly don't know how you can cancel it down...
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
    I explained it all in my previous posts.

I got to go now, but I will try to get back with you later.

Mar 12, 2009, 04:22 AM

Ok its my last day and i know I'm missing a step, can anybody elaborate this for me please?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite model quiet guard 7 model 665. [ 12 Answers ]

Six month old dishwasher. Worked fine until today - won't start. LIghts are on and control panel seems to be working OK. The "Clean" indicator is flashing in intervals of 7 flashes and then pauses. When I select the "Start" button it flashes red 3 times and then nothing. The "Drain/Cancel"...

I'm replacing a white rodgers 1F58-72 model thermostat with a Hunter model 44155C [ 2 Answers ]

There are some different wiring codes that are different how do I do it.

Model [ 7 Answers ]

Who is this modern femme fatale, a former model, appeared in two of the most-acclaimed crime films of the 1980s as well as a pair of groundbreaking TV crime dramas, and now teaches acting in Florida?

HOw to look like a model but not eat like one? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I am 5'4 & weigh 120- but would like to weigh 105-110lbs... I have model friends and they take pills to suppress their appetites..! Another girl I know (who looks amazing) suggest for me to drink lots of coffee and eat once a day... Crazy advise but this is the only way I have found to...

View more questions Search