Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 10:47 PM
    What was the significan of these 3 men?
    Today's gospel lesson.
    Mark Chapter 9
    2. And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James and John, and led them up a high mountain apart by themselves; and he was transfigured before them,
    3. and his garments became glistening, intensely white, as no fuller on earth could bleach them.
    4. And there appeared to them Elijah with Moses; and they were talking to Jesus.
    5. And Peter said to Jesus, "Master, it is well that we are here; let us make three booths, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah."
    6. For he did not know what to say, for they were exceedingly afraid.
    7. And a cloud overshadowed them, and a voice came out of the cloud, "This is my beloved Son; listen to him."
    8. And suddenly looking around they no longer saw any one with them but Jesus only.
    9. And as they were coming down the mountain, he charged them to tell no one what they had seen, until the Son of man should have risen from the dead.
    10. So they kept the matter to themselves, questioning what the rising from the dead meant.
    <+><+><+>
    :confused:So why not all of the apostles and just these three?:confused:
    :confused:What was their significance do you think?:confused:
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 10:59 PM

It is clear that even when they came down that it was just that small group, so apparently the rest were elsewhere.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 11:07 PM

They were the three who knew Him best.

What I find interesting about this story is that, on the mountain, the three disciples were allowed to see Jesus in His divine glory, as the angels saw Him, as "God with us" -- but then the disciples had to go down the mountain and return to everyday life. How difficult that must have been! Before long, Jesus would be arrested and condemned and crucified. The memory of Jesus' glory on the mountain helped these three remain firm in their belief in their Master.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 11:42 PM
    Wondergirl,
    You made a good point.
    Thanks,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Tj3,
    As I read the chapter I see that Jesus selected those three to go with Him and later they returned to the disciples.
    Thanks for the post on that.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 11:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Tj3,
    As I read the chapter I see that Jesus selected those three to go with Him and later they returned to the disciples.
    Thanks for the post on that.
    Fred
    The terminology is pretty neutral. We are not told that they were specially chosen. That would be an assumption.

Mark 9:2-3
    2 Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up on a high mountain apart by themselves; and He was transfigured before them.
    NKJV

In verse 2 it says that this was 6 days after they were with the crowd including the disciples, and they went up in the mountain. They subsequently rejoined the disciples elsewhere - we are not even told if it was the same place or how long it took to get there, or what happened during that initial 6 days. So anything beyond that would be speculation.
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 12:00 AM
    I concluded that from reading the chapter.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 12:03 AM
    I concluded that from reading the chapter.
    Fred
    Where?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 12:13 AM

They were the three who knew Him best.

Just a week earlier, Peter had made his well-known confession about Jesus: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Up until this point, the disciples were under the impression that Jesus had come to save their nation from the Romans, had come to be an earthly messiah. Peter's confession raised the bar on who Jesus really was.

The Gospel of John is the only Gospel which mentions “the disciple whom Jesus loved” -- "One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to Him" (John 13:23) and "When Jesus saw His mother there, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, 'Dear woman, here is your son'" (John 19:26) and “Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, 'It is the Lord!'” (John 21:7). The disciple whom Jesus loved is John, the son of Zebedee and brother of James, aka "the sons of thunder."
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 11:23 AM
    WonderGirl
    That was good.
    Thank you very much.
    Fred
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 11:48 AM

It is the 3 in number that is sufficiency of Peter, Paul, and James.. They would be the foretold, and fore shown witnesses to how Christ, Himself would raise to heaven. For the 3 were there to see Elais and Moses from heaven speaking to Jesus. (So when Christ would suffer to be raised, they could be assured of where He had been taken)

Also telling the 3 earlier that among them it was Elais and Moses that never suffered to death..

Although Christ did suffer to death/satan, and conquered it..

3 throughtout the bible shows evident indentity, and usually God's intervention with everything...
    Maggie 3 Posts: 262, Reputation: 41

Mar 8, 2009, 12:20 PM
    Luke 9:28-36. Transfiguration refers to the supernatural change in the appearance of Jesus described in v29. What actually happened to Jesus' face apparently like His clothes His face began to shine. This would have reminded Peter, James and John of the way Moses looked whenever he spoke to the Lord. Moses face shown when he came down fron Mt. Sinai (ex 34:29), like wise it shown every time he visited the tabernacle(ex 34:34-35).
    The 3 disciiples would also have remembered that whenever Moses entered the tabernacle God spoke with him from a cloud (ex33-9) . Here too at the transfiguration, God spoke from a cloud.
    Moses and Elijah appeared and spoke with Jesus on the mt.. They represent the Law
    AND THE Prophets, the two most important divisions of the Hebrew Bible. ( the 3 divsions of the Hebrew Bible are the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings). Moses represents the Law, the 5 books of Moses. Elijah represents the Prophets, in Jewish tradition the division of Scripture which includes 21 books. Jesus is the fullfilment of the Law and the Prophets.
    But Moses and Elijah are also two great prophets of the old testament. Their appearance with Jesus emphasizes His prophetic role . Moses had prophesied (deut 18:15) that God would one day rise up another prophet like Himself. That prophet was to be obeyed and
    Listened too. All old Testament points to this great prophet of the Last Days. Jesus was that prophet . Notice Heavens response to Peters suggestion that 3 booths be built. " This is My Son, My Chosen, listen to Him" (Luke 9:35.)

In the transfiguration we get a brief look atf heaven and its wonders. .

MAGGIE 3
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie 3 View Post
    Peters suggestion that 3 booths be built.
    Why did Peter want to build booths?
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Maggie 3,
    That was wonderful.
    Thank you very much.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Wondergirl.
    The three booths were for the three in the transfiguration.
    Jesus, Moses, and Elijah (the law giver, the great prophet, and the promised one.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Wondergirl.
    The three booths were for the three in the transfiguration.
    Jesus, Moses, and Elijah (the law giver, the great prophet, and the promised one.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    But why were they needed/wanted?
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    But why were they needed/wanted?
    Scripture says:

Mark 9:6-7
    6 because he did not know what to say, for they were greatly afraid.
    NKJV

The "booth" was simply referring to a shelter or tent, and I think that what scripture says is right - they were not thinking straight (he was in shock) and the first thing that he thought of was shelter for them, thinking that they needed to have their physical needs attended to.
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Wondergirl,
    It was an idea made by Peter.
    BUT...
    They were not needed or wanted as Jesus so indicated.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 8, 2009, 01:32 PM

I like what cpcaustin.org says --

“Master, it is good for us to be here; let us make three dwellings, one for you, one for Moses, and one for
    Elijah.”

Poor Peter, off in search of branches to make booths – an attempt to make that special moment permanent. I would have done it, too. And I would have done it not only to capture the moment, but also to AVOID the next moment ----- the moment when Jesus mentions for us to follow him back down the mountain.

Peter knew what that moment meant – Back Down the Mountain! He knew what listening to Jesus meant! After all he had heard it only six days ago:

“And Jesus began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and the scribes, and be killed and after three days rise again. And he said this plainly.”

He said it plainly – plain enough all right so that the disciples knew something of what was going down. I can't speak for each of you, but as for me and Peter...why not stay up there on that mountain top, building booths and trying to figure out ways to keep Jesus transfigured in all his glowing greatness.

To be perfectly honest, it is not just Jesus and Peter and you that I am worried about, after all I have heard him, too...

“If anyone would come after me, let him DENY himself and TAKE UP his cross and FOLLOW me.”

And I know what is down there, down there waiting for me at the foot of the mountain. It is good that we are here, Lord, away from all the pain, and hurt, and suffering, Lord.

There are those nights when we lay down to sleep covered up in silence. The outside noise is gone BUT inside our heads there is quite a racket going on. We find our minds filled with all the things that are down there at the bottom of the mountain of transfiguration:
    • Bills to pay
    • Children leaving the nest making their own way in life.
    • A relationship that is not turning out the way we expected
    • Aging parents and how we can best care for them
    • Old demons return scratching for attention.
    • An automobile that needs repair
    • A friendship that needs mending
    • Taxes to pay
    • Homeless people to house
    • A rebellious teen on the verge of real trouble
    • Having to come up with a sermon on a short notice
    • And on and on...

Suddenly they have all crawled into bed with us, tumbling over and over in our minds. I know you know what I am talking about...that sought after peaceful rest that has turned into a sleepless cacophony of anxiety and panic.

No wonder we want to say, “Jesus, for a bit longer can we stay up here in the clouds away from the warring worries of life...I'll build you a booth...You and me Lord just a little bit longer? I don't want to go back down there where things are still un-transfigured, deformed, misinformed.”

I think I know what is down there for me. And Peter knew, too. He was no fool. Afraid, yes...but he was no fool. Yes, all that STUFF that makes for suffering and pain lay at the bottom of that mountain for Jesus and Peter and for us. You see, we who follow Jesus must go down from the Mountain of Transfiguration into a world that is in need of Transformation. We simply are not allowed to cloister ourselves in the safety and sacredness of this sanctuary and say, “Master, it is well that we are here, let's stay!”

No, it doesn't work that way. Oh, I wish it did. I really do. No. if we are going to follow Jesus in any responsible way we must LISTEN to HIM and follow him wherever he leads us.
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    It is the 3 in number that is sufficiency of Peter, Paul, and James.. They would be the foretold, and fore shown witnesses to how Christ, Himself would raise to heaven. For the 3 were there to see Elais and Moses from heaven speaking to Jesus. (So when Christ would suffer to be raised, they could be assured of where He had been taken)

Also telling the 3 earlier that among them it was Elais and Moses that never suffered to death..

Although Christ did suffer to death/satan, and conquered it..

3 throughtout the bible shows evident indentity, and usually God's intervention with everything...
    I think Sndbay came close, but how about this explanation? The three were closest to Christ, Peter receiving the Spirit, John inspiration of love from the waters of the Baptist, and James the strength of the blood of Christ in his eventual martyrdom.

This is he that came by water and blood, Jesus Christ: not by water only but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit which testifieth that Christ is the truth.
    (1 John 5:6)

A minimum of three witnesses are required in the Jewish courts. Also the witness veracity is tested for reliability and truthfulness. Three witnesses with impeccable credentials are also required in Heaven.

And there are Three who give testimony in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost. And these three are one. And there are three that give testimony on earth: the spirit and the water and the blood. And these three are one. (1 John 5:7-8)

These three were made to witness the truth.

JoeT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search