Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 03:07 PM
    New Dishwasher Install
    I am remodeling my kitchen with new floors and cabinets and want to install a dishwasher. I did not have one previously. I can install the cabinets and floor myself but will probably hire a plumber to do all the plumbing including the dishwasher. My question is should I have the dishwasher installed first or should I install the cabinets first and have the dishwasher installed later? Can a plumber and electrician do all the rough in work and have everything ready for me to attach the dishwasher? Thanks for any advice.
    joe3365 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 03:17 PM

Do all the rough in work first and make sure the thickness of the flooring you are installing will not interfere with the dishwasher fitting under the counter top.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 7, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WMorg555 View Post
    I am remodeling my kitchen with new floors and cabinets and want to install a dishwasher. I did not have one previously. I can install the cabinets and floor myself but will probably hire a plumber to do all the plumbing including the dishwasher. My question is should I have the dishwasher installed first or should I install the cabinets first and have the dishwasher installed later? Can a plumber and electrician do all the rough in work and have everything ready for me to attach the dishwasher? Thanks for any advice.
    The countertops and sink will go in first and the dishwasher will be the last appliance installed.. I'm assuming you plan for a disposal so the Dishwasher will discharge into that. If you have a outlet for a disposal then you shouldn't need a electrician. This is a simple installation and shouldn't take much more then a hour or so. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 05:47 PM

You assemble cabinets and leave 24" wide void for dishwasher. Install counter tops and flooring. Then, install Dishwasher. D/W should be close to the kitchen sink. All plumbing is ran from kitchen sink. Plumber drills holes through cabinets as needed. It plugs to a dedicated 20AMP plug via pig tail under the sink. See photo. D/W void is on the left side of the island...
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2009, 07:13 PM

Hi WMorg555

Joe3365 is correct about roughing in after cabinets are installed. In order not to have problem with the d/w height install floor first unless u are putting in sheet goods. If u are putting in any type of floor that raises floor by 1/2" or more, u may have a problem getting d/w in. If u have to replace d/w in future, will be difficult to get out.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install dishwasher w/o air gap [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I have an undermount sink and I wanted to avoid having to install an air gap on my countertop. I've seen diagrams showing dishwasher waste line being raised to the highest point inside of a cabinet and then connected to the sink waste line above the trap. I'd like to do the same operation...

Dishwasher install [ 2 Answers ]

I gutted it down to the walls. Now I am putting in a new Dishwasher. What is best for DW discharge: stand pipe, or dump it into the garbage disposal? Forget about the local codes... Do you REALLY need an air gap? I can't be too important because some places don't require it> Please...

New install, old house-new dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

The dishwasher guy didn't come when he'd said. How hard is it to do the drain/plumbing part? My kitchen is apart... I'm sure I could get the hot water part , but the drain is a bit iffy. I yanked out the cabinet, got the powerline run... electrician is a great guy... and will help.. (its not...

Install dishwasher on second trap? [ 6 Answers ]

We are in the midst of installing a new kitchen. Our old kitchen has the standard double sink and adjoining dishwasher all going to a single p-trap in the sink cabinet. One of the things that really bothered me with this arrangement was the GE dishwasher drain noise that came up through the...

New Dishwasher install [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm doing a remodel and I'm adding a dishwasher. My dishwasher will not be directly beside the kitchen sink, but rather diagonal from the sink. Rather than installing the dishwasher normal, using water and drian from kitchen sink and running hoses though a huge corner cabinet, I want to...

View more questions Search