Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monty13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 09:54 AM
    Crate Training and Separation Anxiety
    Hi -

My husband and I just got a Schnoodle puppy. He is almost 12 weeks old and we've had him for the past 2 weeks. He sleeps the entire night in the crate by himself and doesn't cry at all when we leave the house. The problem comes in when we're home but leave him in his crate or gated area because we're eating, etc. He howls and whimpers and cries continuously and won't stop. He does it more with myself than my husband. I don't go to him or give him any attention when he does this. But I don't know how to get him to stop. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you!
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 8, 2009, 10:20 AM

He hasn't got the hang of the house rules yet, and sounds like he is spending a lot of time in his crate. As soon as you get home from work, be sure to take some time out to really exercise him and play with him. Before human dinner time, give him his dinner and possibly another potty break and put him in his crate with a special chew toy. Ignore the howling. This is not separation anxiety, this is a demand for attention. When you are finished, let him out of his crate (only when he is quiet!)
    He may be getting old enough now to allow him a little more freedom during the day--a larger crate, or possibly a laundry room with windows. At the very minimum I would move his crate to a novel area each day so he has new things to smell and look at.
    Remember to reward him only when he is quiet and calm--behavior that gets rewarded gets repeated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

House training or separation anxiety? [ 1 Answers ]

I've had a rescue goldendoodle for over year and have not been able to house train her. I got her when she was about 11 months old and she's now a bit past two. What I know about her is that she's from a pet shop and was put up for adoption because her owners "couldn't handle her" even though...

Separation Anxiety? [ 6 Answers ]

Hey all. I'm hoping some of you may have some advice for me. I have a 4 month old Hound/Lab mix. He's doing well in the potty training arena. He'll wander off to the door when he needs to go out, and only has accidents when I miss him wandering to the door, or am not paying attention. That's...

Does My Dog Have Separation Anxiety! [ 2 Answers ]

Help I need 2 know what are the symptoms 2 separation anxiety because I think my dog may have it so plez HELP!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Separation anxiety [ 3 Answers ]

Last year we rescued an abandoned golden retriever. He is a terrible listener and so needy that drives you crazy. We give him lots of attention but now he became so attached to us that every time we let him out to go to the bathroom he thinks he is going to die because he is alone outside. We...

View more questions Search