Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bamoh Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 06:46 AM
    (I -551)filing taxes jointly vs filling as married but separately
    Is it it in order for a conditional PR (married to a USC) to file taxes as married but filling separately?(both returns depict our primary residence address)... this will be proof of evidence for a bona fide marriage as we prepare to have the conditions lifted in two years.Will this be suspect in any way? As part of proof to adduce in two years?. this is done in good faith and the reason is my spouse had a little bit of a baggage in her 08 numbers.. iand didn't work as much,, if we file jointly I stand to lose big time in these tough times.. advise...

Mar 7, 2009, 06:56 AM
    .. meant 1-751 there!. my apologies!
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Mar 7, 2009, 01:21 PM

The USCIS only cares that you note you are married on the forms. The decision if married filing joint or married filing separately is, as you correctly note, a tax decision.

If you file MFS, just include other evidence of co-mingling funds, such as joint accounts, investments, ownership of property, insurance, etc.

If this was helpful, please rate this answer. Thanks and good luck.:)

Mar 8, 2009, 12:36 AM
    .. again.. another brilliant delivery DCcityboy! a myriad thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file as Married filing Jointly or Separately, if my wife has not entered US. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi David, I thought I'd post in this topic because I have a case similar to that of Balajinaik. However the website doesn't let me continue in his post, so I have to start a new Thread. I have been on an H1B visa through 2006 and will be filing as a resident alien. I got married in India in...

Married filing separately or Married filing jointly ? [ 1 Answers ]

I have to file my taxes for 2008. I entered data in Turbo Tax Based on Married Filing Separately, it shows huge amount as return When I put Married filing jointly, it shows very less amount. I'm married and I'm on H1. Since my wife is on H4, she can not earn any income in united states. My...

Filing status: married jointly or separately [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in 2008 but my wife is currently living in Vietnam, until her immigration status changes. Do I need to file my tax returns as married jointly or separately, she does earn any income and does not have a US social security #?

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

View more questions Search