Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rebecca2003 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Balance sheet and Income statement
    Please help - I need to prepare Balance sheet and Income statement and I just can't seam to get it right. I have worked on it for few days now and the attached document shows what I've done so far.
    I'm not sure that I have put appropriate items where they belong and therefore I can't get my balance sheet to balance and income sheet to make sense.

Attached Excel file shows the Items (sheet1), my Balance sheet (sheet 2) and Income statement (sheet 3).

Thank you for helping.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls Testing Balance_Income sheet.xls (29.0 KB, 553 views)
    kurtwz Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Rebecca, I haven't solved it, but noticed a few things to suggest: 1) I highly recommend using formulas for the sums instead of hard coding them. You're much less likely to make mistakes that way. 2) Go through your list of items on the inputs sheet one-by-one and make sure everything is counted once and only once. I noticed the item for $25 is not included. Lastly, just as a general approach for reconciling, note what the difference between two figures is (say $7,000 and $5,500 = $1,500) and try to find a figure with that amount in one or more of your entries that could be categorized. Good luck.

Mar 8, 2009, 01:09 AM
    Hi Kurtwz,

Thank you for the tips. As for the amount of 25 dollars - yes, my mistake, I believe that is the only one not included. I hate to admit, but I don't know where depreciation expence goes...

I also tried and look at the outstanding amount, but nothing matches...

I really appreciate you taking the time to look at it... however, I am still lost.

Ivana
    virgol72 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Rebecca,
    I myself is an accounting student and I still need help too with my problems too. But I think the depreciation expense should go under the general and administrative expense. Depreciation methods, in some cases when ii is amortized, it is called depletion. I suggest you lable your work this way or in this format.
    Revenues:
    Sales
    Less: sale Ret. And Allo. If there is any.
    Sales Discount
    Cost of goods Sold: this include Beg Inv. Plus net purch. Minus purch. Disc. Or any ret. And allow. Equal net net purch. Plus freight in equal goods avail. For sale minus ending Inv equal COGS.but this COGS have to be taken off to give you gross profit and this gross profit is always on your far right hand while the others in the middle. Sales and gross profit stays on the far right.net topic.
    Operating expenses: if there is any. Then comes your gen. and adm. Expense. And do the rest. Just go back to your book and read with attention and you will be able to do your work. I have help myself this way somethimes.
    Good luck.

Mar 10, 2009, 03:18 AM
    Hey,

Thanks for the tips, but this is the actual format I must follow.

I have gone back to my books and I'm still stuck... not giving up though!
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Mar 10, 2009, 07:44 AM

Well looking at your spreadsheet many items are classified wrong or classified twice. One the balance sheet put assets, liabilities and equity accounts. On the income statement put sales (revenues) and expenses (costs). Also accumulated depreciation is a contra asset account, meaning it is a credit balance or negative compared to an asset. You should list these after their corresponding asset. For example:

Equipment 1,000
    Accum. Dep. Equip 250
    Equipment (net) 750

Mar 10, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Thank you codyman - especially for the tip about Depr. Assets and the format.

Mar 10, 2009, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca2003 View Post
    Thank you codyman - especially for the tip about Depr. Assets adn the format.
    If you want to post your spreadsheet again after making these changes I will take a look. Remember the balance sheet has to balance (Assets = Liabilities + Equity) if it does balance that is a pretty good indication you are correct.

Mar 10, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Yes I will-take you for the offer. Just give me a day or two... must find time...

In the meantime, can you tell me how would balance/income statement change if for example we say that 70% of sports clothing and equipment sales is credit sales. Also, all stock is on credit.

:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009, 01:57 PM

More AR and more AP but compared to what...

Mar 11, 2009, 12:21 AM
    Well, lets say we have to do balance and income statement for 2003 and 2004... how would they change if 70% of sports clothing and equipment sales is credit sales. Also, all stock is on credit.

Mar 11, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Well, lets say we have to do balance and income statement for 2003 and 2004....how would they change if 70% of sports clothing and equipment sales is credit sales. Also, all stock is on credit.
    Right but what was the situation before the change... Were all sales for cash? If so I think you can figure out which accounts that would change.

Also was the stock purchased with cash before... Again what accounts would change.

I will help but I cannot give you the answer.

Mar 12, 2009, 12:05 AM
    I'm afraid it doesn't mention the situation before or anything similar. THis is all the info I have.
    Anyway, I'm working on baland and income statement and will attach the new version soon.

Mar 12, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Dear Codyman,

Here is my new version of balance sheet and income statement. I'm afraid it doesn't balance again... I wish I knew what I was doing wrong!!

Perhaps its to do with the fact that it mentions that 70% of all the sales for clothes and equipment are on credit and all the stock is also on credit... Or perhaps its just me doing the wrong thing.

On the attached Excel, in the first sheet 'Items' you can also see how I classified each item without trying to locate them on balance/income sheet.

Thank you in advance for taking time to assist me.
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: xls Testing Balance_Income sheet.xls (38.0 KB, 193 views)

Mar 12, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Dear Codyman,

Here is my new version of balance sheet and income statement. I'm afraid it doesn't balance again....I wish I knew what I was doing wrong!!!

Perhaps its to do with the fact that it mentions that 70% of all the sales for clothes and equipment are on credit and all the stock is also on credit.....Or perhaps its just me doing the wrong thing.

On the attached Excel, in the first sheet 'Items' you can also see how I classified each item without trying to locate them on balance/income sheet.

Thank you in advance for taking time to assist me.
    Okay I got it... One check your formula for ending balance in owners equity. There is a mistake here, see it?

Also, you have one item classified as a liability that is an expense. Do you know what it could be? Hint it could have been on the balance sheet if it was pre-paid, but without being called a pre-paid its an expense.

Mar 12, 2009, 10:19 AM
    I got it!! My assets finally equal OE+liabilities!!

I can't tell you how grateful I am!! Thank you so much-your guidance and advice has been priceless! :p:p:p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Statement & Balance Sheet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My question is "how items from the income statement will impact the balance sheet". Thanks.

Income statement, owners equity statement and balance sheet [ 6 Answers ]

Les Fleurs, a boutique in Paris, France, had the following accounts in its accounting records at December 31, 20X2 (amounts in Euros, denoted as "E") Purchases………………... E250,000 Freight In……………… E8,000 Sales discounts…………. 4,000 Purchase returns…….. 7,000 Inventory Sales…………………. ...

Financial Statement with Balance sheet and income statement [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the problem: The Hobart Company incurred the following transactions during 2003: A. Acquired $50,000 of cash capital from owners B. Paid $10,000 to acquire manufacturing equipment C. Paid $5,000 cash for materials used in production D. Paid $2,000 for wages of production workers...

Income Statement and Balance sheet [ 1 Answers ]

Is this correct Sales ($) 696,000 COGS 200,000 Gross Profit 496,000 Expenses 300,000 EBIT 196,000 Interest Expense 10,000 EBT 186,000 Tax Expense(40%) 36,000 Net Income 175,000

View more questions Search