Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Mar 7, 2009, 05:00 AM
    'ALDI' reflector telescope
    In the UK Aldi and Lidl often offer cheap refractor and reflector telescopes, complete simple sets with tripod and additional lens sets.
    My grandson was recently offered one, which strongly seems to represent a 700 new 'Big Seben' telescope for only BP 30,00 (US$ 42,00).
    Has anyone here any experience with such a telescope?
    I realize that for so cheap it can not meet a Meade or similar, but is it worth the money for a starting astro-amateur?

In the attic I still have my first refractor telescope set (60/700) which I could give him foc. Transport costs some BP 20,00 (US$ 28,00)
    Note : there are only a couple of days to accept this offer, so I would welcome any serious advice.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 9, 2009, 08:00 AM

My strong recommendation is that you stay away from such cheap scopes. The major problem is that not only do cheap scopes have cheap optics, they also suffer from cheap and very flimsy mounts. This makes it very difficult to get a steady view, and will lead to great frustration. You would be much better off starting with a nice set of binoculars rather than a telescope. There's some good info on the Sky & Telescope web site with suggestion on how to get into astrinomy as a hobby. See:

SkyandTelescope.com - Choosing Your Equipment - Choosing Your First Telescope
    -

Mar 11, 2009, 03:26 AM
    Thanks very much for that information, ebaines.

A long term amateur myself, I was already aware of that.
    That is why I asked for specific information on that 'brand' of telescope.
    Don't know if I can convince my grandson of your arguments :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 06:21 AM

I have no first hand info on these specific scpoes, but found this exchange on a UK web site:

Aldi Telescope from Thursday 11/10/07 - uk.sci.astronomy | Google Groups

The Aldi in particular looks to be quite poor. You need to run, not walk, away from any cheap refractor type scope - these are usually worthless. If the binocular recommendation isn't "cool enough" for your grandson, I would suggest you look into a small Dobsonian reflector scope - you should be able to find one of reasonable quality for just a few hundred dollars.
    -

Mar 11, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Thanks again, ebaines.

"The Aldi in particular looks to be quite poor. You need to run, not walk, away from any cheap refractor type scope - these are usually worthless".
    That 700 new 'Big Seben' telescope is a reflector, not a refractor.

If the binocular recommendation isn't "cool enough" for your grandson, I would suggest you look into a small Dobsonian reflector scope - you should be able to find one of reasonable quality for just a few hundred dollars.
    "just a few hundred dollars" ??? No wonder the American economy collapsed, pulling the entire world economy into a recession. A few hundred dollars is still a lot of money. Certainly for a 14 year old brand-new starting astronomy amateur.

I think it is better I visit the attic, and find and clean my first refractor telescope set (60/700), which helped me for many years to study the skies. I hoped for a reaction of someone who had worked with a 700 new 'Big Seben' reflector telescope, to provide me with more and supported arguments for him not to buy one for US$ 42,00 !
    DuBas2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 07:44 PM
    Maybe you can tell us your price range and we can offer our advice on what's best in that range.

You can think a good portion of the uk banking industry as well as the american one for the problems we are facing today.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anti reflector on glasses [ 8 Answers ]

Fluorescent lights make my eyes turn red. In your opinion, will the anti reflector or anti glare feature prevent my eyes from turning red. Thanks in advance.

The first telescope [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 6 years old. He loves astronomy so much. What is the most suitable telescopes for him? Is it 30mm, 50mm, orbigger one?

Buying a telescope [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there that gaze at the stars? I’m looking into buying a telescope so I can start a new hobby. So what I want to know is what is one of the best and inexpensive telescopes on the market?

Built my own telescope [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best book out that gives you good details on how to build your own telescope?

Kind of telescope [ 5 Answers ]

What kind of telescope to purchase for my family to observe our solar system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View more questions Search