Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emgeeguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Mortar mix
    How much sand and how much cement for mortar mix for brick work?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2009, 03:51 PM

Depends on what bag cement you use. If you use a 92lb bag of Portland cement it takes a 1/2 bag of lime and 30 to 32 shovels of sand .
    If you use for instance a bag of Keystone mortar ( which has lime in it) its 16 shovels of sand to one batch.
    8 full shovels of sand is about 100lb and it 200lb of sand to a batch of mortar which id about 70 bag.

This may mess with your head but the big difference between cement and mortar is the lime factor. Lime gives the cement/mortar stickiness to work with so the mortar doesn't slide off the trowel. If you need a brick to mortar ratio is about 90 brick to a batch of mortar that has the 16 shovels of sand in. If you need any more tips I am a mason.

Don't know if you are using a mortar mixer. If so the use about 3/4 of a 5 gal bucket in the mixes (ON) then add 8 shovels of sand/next the bag 70 bag of mortar. Let mix for a bit. Now add the rest of the 8 shovels of sand Slowly. Let the mixer run for a min or two after the 6th of the last 8 shovels. Add water slowly. Most greenhorns end up with a runny mix because the batch was rushed. That load will be about 1 wheel barrow and a half +
    Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using Fireplace Mortar [ 1 Answers ]

There are several thin cracks on the refractory panels inside my pre-fab fireplace, and the chimney sweep guy recommended fireplace mortar. I went on Rutland company's website, and their fireplace mortar is for patching fireplace fireboxes and firebricks, for cracks 1/8" or less, and once cured,...

Glue instead of mortar? [ 9 Answers ]

My son is writing an Eagle project to place decorative cinder blocks around posts supporting a scoreboard. Since we don't know anyone who has experience using mortar for building these, a friend told me he used adhesive glue for concrete/masonry and that it worked very well. The blocks will not be...

Mortar Mix [ 2 Answers ]

I am Installing a Stacked Stone Wall Inside my Home (Living Room Wall),The stone is a Cultured Stone Product from Owens Corning. It calls for Type N Mortar to be used. I don't want to have to mix all of this by hand, I Live in a Town Home, Can I use a different type of Mortar Mix or is there a...

Mortar removal [ 1 Answers ]

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen and bathroom and want to remove it. I have all the tile removed but the is a thick layer of mortar on the cement. Can someone give me and idea on how to remove this? Is there a chemical that will soften the mortar and not hurt the cement under neath.

Mortar vs caulk [ 2 Answers ]

I have installed some thin brick in my basement. This is 1/2" thick brick veneer that is glued up on a metal panel. The manufacturer recommends that you use Type S mortar with application via a "bakers' bag". I've tried this and find it very cumbersome and to be honest my forearms are simply...

View more questions Search