Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FosterMom79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 03:28 PM
    Friend is hooked on drugs and pregnant. Wants me to take the baby when it is born.
    I am a young single woman who wants kids more than anything. I have a friend who has three beautiful kids and one on the way and this one she wants me to raise. I am ecstatic but also am scared because she is good at emotional mind games. I know the possibility of the baby being addicted to drugs but I am wondering if there is anyone out there that could tell me what I can do to ensure this baby's safety and my friend's while not being able to be in the same town as her.

I want this baby born healthy and I am concerned for this little unborn child's safety. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Can I make her not do drugs or anything to harm baby?

Worried in Alaska!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 7, 2009, 12:10 AM

You can report her to child protective services, or call the police and let them know about her drug use.

You have NO legal right to that child until all the paperwork is drawn up, she signs away her parental rights, you legally adopt through the court, and the judge signs off on it.

I would get a lawyer, if you are seriously considering adopting at all, whether this child or another. I would also try to get your friend into some counseling about adoption in general.

You also need to realize that if you adopt this child, it's a very huge likelihood that the biological mother is NOT going to be your friend within a relatively short amount of time after the adoption--mostly because boundaries need to be set up, and it's hard to like someone that tells you what you can and can't do with your child. That works both ways, you know---you are BOTH going to think of this child as "my" child.

My question is this: Would you be as concerned for the welfare of this unborn child if there weren't a possibility of you adopting? Would you do everythign you could to help your friend out if she decided to keep the child? Or is this something you're only concerned about because the child may eventually be "yours"?

Either way, you need to call CPS and let them know about your friend so they can protect her OTHER children as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of a new born baby? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend just broke up with me and I am due July 2nd with his baby but he is mean and drinks and I don't think that he should have any rights how do I go through with this situation.:confused:

Baby born before due date [ 1 Answers ]

My baby was born a month before his due date and he wasn't premature. What could have been the problem.

Baby might be born on Feb 29th [ 1 Answers ]

This is funny because I don't know what I'm going to do if this happen. If my baby is born on the 29th of February what am I suppose to do for my baby's first birthday next year?

Friend Doing DRUGS! [ 4 Answers ]

I Need Help On This!! I Need To Know How To Talk To A Friend So He Will Listen!! So My Friend (who I Will Name Joe) And Two Of Our Other Friends (bob And Fred) Were In The Jrotc (I Am A Sophomore In High school And Am Involved With The Jrotc Program) After School! We Are Normally There Well After...

H1B, with wife on H4 and one new born baby in US [ 3 Answers ]

I was on H1B since 2005 Oct. and got married in the same month, my wife came joining me from China in 2005 Dec and since then we haven't leave the states. My baby was born in 2006 Oct. and is almost 3 month old. Last year when I file 2005 Tax return I applied and received the Tax ID for my wife...

View more questions Search