Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2009, 05:09 PM

Yipes! To me that looks like an inferior fine drywall screw.

Compare to this one:

#6 x 1-1/4" Drywall Screws, Coarse Thread for Wood Studs, Drywall Screws, Screws, Fasteners - McFeely's

Note how your's looks fatter at the end and has a fine thread. It's also full-threaded which would mess up hold ing power a little.

Combine that scew with some non-dry lumber and, I believe, you'll have just this mess.

What about it BB?
    homedoctor Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 05:41 PM

Even if the cracks are in the wood trim (base where the wall meets the floor, casing when around a door or window, chair rail when part way up a wall to protect the wall from chairs scooting back, and crown where the wall meets the ceiling) it could still be due to the house settling. So far what you've described seems minor - no windows shattering, no doors scraping the jamb, no walls falling apart. As I'd mentioned, the house may settle some more but I'm guessing not much. Tighten up the screws or add a new one above or below it. On the lid try going an inch or two one way. If you do not hit wood then the joists run the other way and you have (only) one extra hole to fill - not a big penalty when you've so many already.

Someone I know tried a trick with nails that may or may not work with screws: He used a credit card that he was going to throw away - real plastic but otherwise useless. He placed the card over the pop so that the numbers were not on the pop then bapped it with a hammer. With a nail, it puts it back without damage to the surface 'cause the plastic card spreads the blow just enough. I've used a hammer to tap in screws (before using joint compound) but they take a bit more force so this may not work for you. You've not much to loose trying it... If you do, please let me know how it turns out.
    homedoctor Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2009, 05:47 PM

... And KISS, you're right. I could not see the pic so didn't see the screw, but the fine thread screws are for metal studs and are a poor hold in wood - too easily strip the hole they make when screwed in, especially in wet wood.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

18 Year Old Still Living at Home [ 7 Answers ]

My wife and I still have an 18 year old son living with us. He graduated from high school, but is not interested in going any farther. We have offered to pay, but he's still not interested in school. He "hangs out" with his friends, and sometimes comes home drunk or high. We live in Tennessee and...

Lost my home last year [ 1 Answers ]

Last year, we lost our business and in turn, lost our home and rental. They went into foreclosure and were sold for less than we owed. We have since gotten 1099s from the mortgage companies. So basically, they are saying we profited this astronomical amounts, and we didn't. Is there a way...

Better to let 16 year old leave home? [ 4 Answers ]

My sixteen year old son told me today he wants to leave home. This happened after I asked him where he sees himself in 1 year. We have been having quite a time with him for 2 years now - he uses pot daily and has for quite some time. I have found a multitude of drug related items and destroy...

19 Year old home from college [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter has just returned home from being away at college for the past 10 months. She has gained over 60 pounds and is doing terrible in school. Now that she is home she keeps her room messy, is unkempt and ignores most of what we ask of her. She is never verbally disrespectful, but just...

View more questions Search