Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joewolf28 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2009, 11:36 AM
    k-1 visa
    This is a stupid question but here goes my girlfriend lives in colombia and we want to get married in the states now the problem is she was married there and doesn't have the funds to divorce from the guy who now lives in the states and it will take along time for her to get it and we have been together for a year and a half the lawyer sezs it will take another year to have a chance so my question is if we try to apply for the fiancée visa without saying she was married will they find out.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Mar 6, 2009, 11:52 AM

She should not make any misrepresentation regarding her marital status to the CONOFF. They may not check, but if they do, will be easy to see she lied under oath (signing the DS-156 under penalty of perjury) as well as at the AMCON visa interview. If she misrepresents by omission, she could be denied the visa and would then need for you to qualify for a waiver. You would want an attorney to handle the waiver filing.

She needs to have the divorce before the K-1 visa will be issued, as the officer knows she is unable to get married to you if she is still married.

If this was helpful, rate this answer! Thanks and good luck.

Mar 6, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DCcityboy View Post
    she should not make any misrepresentation regarding her marital status to the CONOFF. they may not check, but if they do, will be easy to see she lied under oath (signing the DS-156 under penalty of perjury) as well as at the AMCON visa interview. if she misrepresents by omission, she could be denied the visa and would then need for you to qualify for a waiver. you would want an attorney to handle the waiver filing.

she needs to have the divorce before the K-1 visa will be issued, as the officer knows she is unable to get married to you if she is still married.

if this was helpful, rate this answer! thanks and good luck.
    Thanks do you of any other visa that can help her get her

Mar 6, 2009, 01:33 PM

If she has a visitor visa, she can come for a short period, she could then file for the divorce here in the US. Each state has different requirements for jurisdictiion.

Mar 6, 2009, 03:22 PM

What do you need for a visitor visa

Mar 6, 2009, 04:56 PM

It's a direct application visa, but mostly she needs to show she will return home. She has to have "ties" to her home country; job, family, property, etc. the more the better. She should have specific plans for her visit to the US, so an itinerary and a specific reason or occasion is helfpul. She has to have enough funds in the bank to pay for her trip and all expenses.

She can get specific information about the consulates requirements, but she will need an appointment, fill out form DS-156 and pay the MRV fee. She should prepare for the interview and be able to explain about her temporary trip.

Mar 6, 2009, 04:59 PM

Okay I see and does it take along time to get approve or know if you been selected.

Mar 6, 2009, 05:51 PM

It's a direct application visa so you generally know at the visa interview if the CONOFF approves or not.

Mar 6, 2009, 05:53 PM

Oh wow thanks a lot dccityboy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed. [ 1 Answers ]

While cancelling visa and going back to india for visa change what are things needed

Cancellation of family visa to stamp work visa for KSA for my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ALL, I want to know the procedure to cancel my wife's visa who is dependent on my visa in KSA. I am presently working in KSA and my wife is in India and has received a job offer from KSA. My wife has re entry visa stamped which is valid until August this year. Kindly advice. Thanks, ...

Change from B2 visa to F1 visa then to J1 or H1 visa for residency [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guide me I m n US on B1/ B2 visa for USMLE xm.instaed of going back to india & coming again for hospital interview( more costly )... should I change visa status B2 to F1 ? Afterwords for MD medicine I hv to take J1 or H1 visa.. so how this B2 to F1 change will affect J1 or H1...

View more questions Search