Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 6, 2009, 10:07 AM
    Wax in Sink
    As crazy as it sounds, is as crazy as it is... I have a teenager that was trying to be helpful. I asked him to blow the candle out in our half bath in the basement. You guessed it, he comes to report that he blew it out and dumped the extra wax in the sink. <--he was so proud that he thought of this wonderful idea.

Subsequently the sink drains slower than molasses. How far down the pipe has this wax travelled and what steps should I take to free the wax? Please advise.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 6, 2009, 11:36 AM

The wax is likely in the trap. You can run hot water down the sink for several minutes but that isn't the best idea. I'd get a bucket to catch the water and just unscrew the two nuts holding the trap. Dump the wax and water into the bucket and inspect the trap well before reinstalling.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Mar 6, 2009, 11:56 AM

Great advice... thank you for responding.

Okay, I'm thinking this through... Under the sink there is a elbow joint that is attached to a pipe that comes directly from the drain. If I remove the elbow joint there will be wax trapped in the bottom of the elbow and then water in front of it. So most likely it wouldn't have gone further than the bottom of the elbow huh? I should possibly consider replacing that elbow or do you think it could be scraped out?

Mar 6, 2009, 12:01 PM

That elbow is actually your P trap. p-trap: Information from Answers.com Some have a small drain plug at the bottom but most home drains do not. Some folks also call this a J trap but its all the same as far as you are concerned. Unscrewing the nuts, draining and reinstalling should be all that's necessary. Do not replace unless there is a hole. Is this white plastic (PVC) or chrome?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2009, 12:11 PM

Once you have it out, look upwards into the drain pipe and see if any wax is caught there. I suspect not.

Mar 6, 2009, 12:22 PM

Scroll down a few inches, the second trap is a PVC trap. You can see the nuts at each end of the J. KISS brings up a good suggestion since that wax probably started to set as it ran down the inside of the pipe. If so you can scrape it off with a table knife.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Relocating Sink Drain/Vent to Dedicated Stack Serving Kitchen Sink & Dishwasher [ 3 Answers ]

I am relocating an upstairs vanity sink from one wall to another (also going from single to double bowl). Rather than relocate the drain and vent pipe, I am hoping that I can tie into a 1-1/2" copper vent pipe that is located right behind the vanities intended location. The copper vent pipe is from...

Hooking a Utility Sink in basement to Kithcen sink drain [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to install a utility sink in the basement and have attached a drawing illustrating the current piping and proposed attachment. Basically, the kitchen sink drain goes directly into a drain in the basement floor via a 1-1/2" steel pipe, which is tied to the sewer system. I'd like to put a...

Sewage smell from sink drains in main bath and kitchin sink [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought our first house they ran a new sewage line from all sinks,toilets,tubs,and washer to main line and replace main line to city main. The main bath sink is the worst it smells my sons room and hall way. Is the pipe to small main is 4in and vent is 2in. We have 2 full baths with...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

View more questions Search