Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2009, 10:16 PM
    Powerbook G4 won't verify or repair permissions
    The disk utility runs forever and then reports that it can do nothing.

Is there a work around?

What is the prognosis for this older laptop which otherwise works?
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Mar 13, 2009, 07:42 AM

Disk Utility dose not scan the whole disk. There are files that can not be scanned because of permissions issues. There are third party disk utilities and ways to use disk utility to work around problems with Disk Utilities
    If you have a second Power PC based Mac ruining OS 10 you can use Apple Disk Utilities to check the drive by booting the powerbook while holding down the “T” key. This effectively turns your Powerbook G4 into a Firewire drive. Connect your Powerbook to another PowerPC based Mac and run the Apple Disk Utilities program on the hard drive of your laptop from the other computer. This allows access to more files by the application.
    Disk Warrior is also an option. This program works and is part of my kit (I support 200 Powerbook G4s) it is a bit pricy for the average user at $99 but if you have mutable Macs it is nice.
    A third option is to reinstall your system and software. Backup your folder under users to an external drive and reinstall. Set up your user account on the Powerook exactly as before , same name and password. Next you will need to install all your applications and run updates. After these steps are done you can copy your backed up home folder into the new install while logged in with your login. When done properly everything will be there all settings and tweaks applied.
    Printers and wireless profiles are in the Library folder in the root folder and not in the user level Library folder. Do not copy these folders over it is a easy way to ruin your new install. You should add the wireless and printers manually
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2009, 07:45 AM

Thanks so much! This is similar to advice I got elsewhere last week, including Disk Warrior. But your answer is much more complete and organized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect Mac Powerbook G3 to internet via my router [ 2 Answers ]

I have a BT Wireless Network 1250 router to which one PC is connected physically and another PC connects using a USB Netgear adaptor. I want to also connect a Powerbook G3 but am told it is too old a machine to take an airport card. I have tried plugging it in physically to the router but no...

Creditor wants me to verify debt I ask them to verify [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection agency asking me to verify a debt? I disputed the charges on my credit report and I receive a letter asking me to verify the account because they don't have enough information to verify it themselves. I called and fax them a letter to verify the debt again. The rep told me he needs...

NTFS permissions [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Sir I have a question that we have windows server 2003 and Windows XP on clients we are four members of domain admins group when I create a document all other three can acces my document even I have not given access to them but they have ownership rights through wich they take ownership and...

View more questions Search