Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Linnypu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 07:29 PM
    HIPPA Violation?
    I went to a lab for a medical test that required the use of a large machine. The technician had me sitting in the room while another patient was being scanned. The machine was silent and the room was not very large. The technician asked me questions about my medical history in front of the other patient. Were my privacy rights under HIPPA violated? What should I do to try to prevent this from happening to someone else at this facility?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2009, 07:33 PM

Report it to the facility mgmt.

Why didn't you say to the technician that you didn't think it was apporpriate for him to ask you those questions with someone else in the room.

Mar 5, 2009, 07:42 PM

I did not say anything to the technician because I just wanted to get my test done and get out of there. I should speak to the management because it isn't the right thing to do. It is not something I would sue over because I am not a litigious person and I suffered no harm.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 5, 2009, 07:48 PM
    You probably can't sue over it. People have this misconception that a HIPAA violation is a tort offense. Its not. The punishment for a HIPAA violation is fines and sanctions againt the medical provider, not something the victim can sue over.

Mar 5, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Like I said, I am not litigious, so I wouldn't sue anyway even if I could. I found it slightly comical actually. I will say something to the management because the technician was doing the wrong thing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 08:23 PM

This is not a correct thing to do, and it should be reported to the hospital.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Hippa Violation ? [ 3 Answers ]

I am from the state of WI. If you have a medical appointment, use earned sick time for it, and bring in a medical excuse stating you were there, does your employer have the right to call your doctor because "he thinks there might have been sick time abuse". Is this not a HIPPA violation? He used...

Hippa violation? [ 2 Answers ]

A child was crying and carrying on in a dentist's office. A hygienst in the other room who knew the girls family and was good friends with the family called the girl's aunt and said, "you won't believe who is in here carrying on. Your kids are a saint compared to her." Her name was revealed as...

View more questions Search