Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AthroughZ46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 02:47 AM
    Windows XP Professional
    Hello ,

I have Windows XP Pro . Shouldn't I have a Speaker Icon on my task bar to adjust my settings ? I find this odd I don't . If so , How do I go about getting a Speaker Icon Added .

:cool:

Thanks ,
    Lisa
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 25, 2006, 02:50 AM
    Ok easy fix.
    Start > Control Panel > Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio > Volume Tab > check Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar.

Job done ;)
    AthroughZ46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2006, 03:02 AM
    Curlyben ,
    I did what you said no problem except when I checked the box for adding my speaker icon I received this message

ERROR :
    Windows can not display the volume control on the taskbar because the volume control program has not been installed to install it Use Add/Remove programs .

I know nothing about installing stuff let alone removing things .
    Hope someone can help .
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 25, 2006, 03:30 AM
    The volume control is related to your Audio drivers.
    Do you have sound on this machine?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Aug 25, 2006, 03:45 AM
    It sounds like your sound is not installed properly in the first place otherwise what Curlyben outlined would have worked.

Do this: Click START, choose RUN, type CONTROL PANEL, hit enter, double click SYSTEM, Click on the HARDWARE tab, click DEVICE MANAGER

Now do you see something like "Sound, Video, and game controllers" or anything that begins with "Sound"? And is there a "+" or "-" sign to its left? Do you also see any "?" in the list anywhere and if you do what does it say?

When the sound drivers aren't installed correctly then you'll either see the expanded list "-" with a list of potential improperly installed sound drivers OR you might see a "?" which means that your sound card was completely unrecognized by the OS.

Anyway, lets start with that and I'm sure others besides me will be able to help based on your response.

Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unable to install Windows XP Professional [ 11 Answers ]

I have more than 10 systems and am typically a whiz at computers. I have been installing WIndows XP since long but to my surprise, in one particular system, I am unable to install Windows XP Professional. The computer is a Pentium 4 - 1.7 Ghz on a 845LDM chipset board & 256 DDR. The surprising...

Error message windows xp professional [ 8 Answers ]

I had a computer that had windows xp professional on it and not that it has been unplugged I get an error message when I turn it on it says insert system disk and press enter I don't have the cd or a boot disk could I use windows 98 boot disk to start the computer so I don't get the error message...

Tired of loggin on to Windows XP Professional. [ 1 Answers ]

When I boot my system, I'd like to go right to my desktop. I am tired of logging on or just hitting enter. I have windows xp professional. Someone please help.

Windows XP Professional [ 1 Answers ]

I've recxently installed Windows XP on my computer. With WIndows 98 I had an automatic shutdown feature. When I shut down my computer it automatically shut the power off. With XP this doesn't happen and I have to manually shut the power off. Is there a way to get XP to do what 98 did?

Windows XP Professional Question [ 6 Answers ]

I have Windows XP Professional, and I was just wondering if there is a way where I can open up imesh, or winmx to download songs and then log out, but the songs will keep downloading while someone else s on the computer? Thanks.

View more questions Search