Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yarl raps Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Debt collection
    Does any one know if I'm responsible for my 20 year old sons dentist bill if he no longer lives with me but I had insurance on him till he quit school?Can a debt collector go after me? Because that what's happening but I don't think I should be responsible for my dead beat son any help? Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 25, 2006, 05:48 AM
    That's an interesting one. You covered your son under your insurance as a dependent. You may also have claimed him as a dependent on your tax return. A court might, in fact, rule that you are responsible for this debt. I'd consult an attorney.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2006, 11:36 AM
    I would say no, from my personal experience.

However, your situation might be a bit different than mine.

I agree with Scott, you should consult an attorney.

Aug 26, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    That's an interesting one. You covered your son under your insurance as a dependent. You may also have claimed him as a dependent on your tax return. A court might, in fact, rule that you are responsible for this debt. I'd consult an attorney.
    Thanks,I did not claim him as a dependent ,as he had his own job and lived outside the home just forgot I had him on my insurance tru work,do you think that matters?
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2006, 12:32 PM
    No it doesn't.

Insuring someone to help them out is one thing, that does not make you obligated for their debts.

Aug 26, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    No it doesn't.

Insuring someone to help them out is one thing, that does not make you obligated for their debts.
    Is there anywhere on the web that quotes the laws as far as who's debt your are responsible for! Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yarl raps
    Is there anywhere on the web that quotes the laws as far as who's debt your are responsible for! Thanks!!
    Depends where you live.

Most provinces and states have their laws online.

But then general rule is that if you do not incur a charge yourself nor do you agree to pay for it if someone defaults, you are not responsible.

Let’s say I have an outstanding dentist bill, can they come after you?

You say no, why?

He is an adult, therefore, no one is responsible for him but himself.

Aug 26, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Questionable old debt now in collection? [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a collection notice claiming I owe $72 to Prism Venture who I have never dealt with. Calling the number on the Collection notice they state is a Columbia House account and that the account was transferred to Prism Feb 28 and March 28, 30 days later they assign it to this collection...

Debt collection [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy, 4 years ago I let a credit card charge off for $11,700. A law firm bought the debt and until last year I had paid it down to $6700. I just haven't had the money to pay them. I earned 28k last year and my YTD is 7k for this year. I just got a court summons. I assume my wages will be...

Repaying a debt collection [ 6 Answers ]

Hey Guys, Need advice. I have been contact by a collection agency to pay debt. The debt is for 10k+ and they are seeking 8k. I cosigned for a "friend" 4 years ago for this debt (motorcycle) and it went late many times and it was finally sold to a collection agency in Oct 2005. They have been...

Collection Agenies [ 8 Answers ]

Can collections agency be nasty and mean to you? Can they call one a day, everyday? Can they call anytime they want, or their hours their allowed to call between? Sapphire

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search