Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ANNANLAD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Repair old cast iron rad *steam*
    Hullo lads, I've got a steam system running at 2lb and have a pinhole leak in one of my rads, a real fancy one too. Replacement is not really an option and disassembly will be a nightmare as it's been painted over for 50 years. Is there anything on the market I could use to patch or can this be brazed.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 5, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Hi Annan:

They make a great boiler seal... called boiler solder...just for plugging leaks in steam boilers, BUT this will not work for you as your leak is up in the radiator and boiler seal cannot get into the radiator as it stays with water in the boiler. That is, it will not join the steam to plug the readiator.

You could try to shut the system down and take a small wire brush and clean the surface that needs to be repaired. Then you could try to use some plumber's epoxy putty (see picture).. or another similar epoxy putty to plug the hole and hopefully repair this for years to come... ;)

Here, you take a two-part epoxy putty, knead the two to a uniform color and then spread and fill the hole. Use water to feather the edges down a bit... let dry and see how it goes.

This stuff can be drilled and tapped and is said to be able to withstand high pressure... so may work for you here.

After you repair, walk away for awhile... 24 hours if possible, then try it out. Let me know how you make out... OK?

Very few people can braze/weld cast iron... could call a welding shop or two, but I doubt you will get much help... Lots of talk, but doubt anyone will actually do it for you... but worth trying if epoxy putty fails... ;)

If you have more questions, ask away!

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Cast Iron Joint Leak Repair [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I have a cast iron vent stack in my home. I have a leak in a spare bed room where the stack comes up through a wall and has a 90 degree bend to take it from vertical to horizontal. It is leaking at the joint between the bend section and the first straight horizontal piece. I have read all the...

Cast iron vertical from cast iron horizontal can be pvc? [ 2 Answers ]

A leak developed in the main cast iron vertical stack of pipes leading to the horizontal main drain. Unfortunately, for me, the leak was so close to the ground that I had to break the concrete slab of the house. At that point, it just made sense to dig an extra 4 inches or so and remove the bad...

Steam generator iron filters [ 1 Answers ]

Do all steam generator irons need replaceable filters? Are there any steam generator irons I can buy that do not need a replaceable filter, as I do not want to spend money buying filters every month or 6 month.

Repair or Replace a Cast Iron Horizontal T [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house and found out the kitchen drain (2 inch steel) pipe (16 foot run horizontal with a 3 foot stack and a vent pipe out the far kitchen end) that connected to a horizontal cast iron 3 or 4" pipe was broken. the connection at the pipe snapped some time back I think judging from the...

View more questions Search