Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yamus Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 08:42 AM
    GPU runs but monitor gets no signal
    I want to start with saying that I know this computer sucks big time but I need to keep it until I can effort anything better :D
    Ok so here's my problem: One day I woke up and suddently my monitor didn't get any signal from the GPU.

The monitor is fine, same goes for the wire since I now use them on my other (more sucky) computer.
    I can't test the GPU on the working computer since it's AGP and my 'not-working' GPU is PCIe.

Here's what may help you help me.

The cooler on my GPU is running which indicates it is getting power.
    HDD works fine on the other computer.
    Unplugged all RAM but left 1 sitting there (512 DDR).
    Unplugged CDrom as well as HDD once but re-plugged HDD since it didn't help.
    PSU runs 350W and my GPU is 9600GT (a friend told me that the PSU maybe couldn't deliver enough power but the computer worked for months)
    There's no beep which usually indicates that the bios is running.

Also what's weird is that on the monitor it says "No Signal" but when I remove the wire from the GPU it says "Cable is not plugged". I had to translate it as best as I could but I think you know what I mean - it notice that it is plugged to the GPU but it just doesn't get an image.
    All answers are appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)
    cogs Posts: 415, Reputation: 27

Mar 5, 2009, 02:24 PM

Did you reseat the agp card?
    Can you use the pci video card from your other PC (do you have pci connectors?).
    Also, since you're not getting signal from an agp card, look in the device manager for problems, and/or try a different controller.

Mar 5, 2009, 04:04 PM

My agp works fine (tested it just to see if wire / monitor we're having issues receiving signals. Since they work I figured that it must be the PCI (9600gt) or something on the computer where the PCI is plugged that doesn't work.

I did reseat the PCI, maily to check for spotable damage on it, I found nothing and also reseating didn't change anything

Mar 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
    I understand that my post can be confussing - my bad.
    Not working device: Either something on computer 1 or PCIe.
    Working device: AGP, Monitor, Computer 2.

Well I've tried quite much. Earlier today I plugged another PCIe to computer 1 and still no signal (I am 100% sure that GPU works) so leaves me with 2 possible messups: Motherboard or PSU. Is there any chance that my PSU provides enough power to get the computer to start up (all coolers are running and same goes for lights and CDrom) but not enough power to get my PCIe to deliver images?
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Mar 5, 2009, 05:40 PM

Use the GPU from your other computer in that one even if it's a lower output and the same graphics card. If it's the PSU you will at a minimum get your boot screen though it may not run in windows(if it's a weaker GPU). If its still all black then that slot on your board has gone bad.

Mar 6, 2009, 05:36 AM

I can't use the GPU on the other computer since the one that seems not to be working is PCIe and the computer that works fine is AGP.
    Also I don't even hear the beep which it use to do when booting

Mar 6, 2009, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by yamus View Post
    I can't use the GPU on the other computer since the one that seems not to be working is PCIe and the computer that works fine is AGP.
    Also I don't even hear the beep which it use to do when booting
    I used the wrong acronym at the start of that post, sorry. I meant to say PSU from other PC into the one your having issues with. If you get any sort of boot screen it's the PSU that has gone bad. If so replace with a PSU that has at least 2 rails(if it doesn't list how many rails it has don't buy it) 4 rails is even better.

Mar 7, 2009, 01:10 AM

I'll try that when I get home - thanks a bunch.
    By the way I might have misunderstood you but my motherboard only have a single slot for PSU as far as I know - if that's what you meant (motherboard will be replaced anytime soon, need to get better RAM and better CPU :b)
    Nubzor16 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2009, 02:48 AM

Should be getting enough power. There is usaually a 12 plug in on tha Motherboard for extra power to PCIE Bus.

Does you Motherboard have Onboard video?
    Check Video setting in BIOS.

Have you recently updated Bios? OCed?

Mar 7, 2009, 06:53 AM

No, there's no onboard card. I can't check BIOS since I can't get a picture. I can't check PSU since cables don't match and also the wire is too short :b I'll just buy a motherboard when it's payday again ^^ thanks for all the answers

Mar 7, 2009, 02:09 PM

What I meant by bad slot was the slot your video card was going into. Not the power supply point on the board. Its unfortunate that you can't test another PSU on it as it can be either one. Though if you need the upgrade anyway, at least its not a waste of money. Just realize you may have to buy a new PSU as well. If you would like some advice in that regards(if the PSU is bad) just PM me or post and I will find you a good solid PSU that shouldn't give you any issues.

Mar 7, 2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks a lot Dark - I will PM you when I'm going to buy a PSU ^^

Mar 7, 2009, 07:29 PM

Np :)

Apr 28, 2009, 07:05 AM

I totally forgot that I had posted about my issue here.
    I bought a new motherboard, cpu, psu and ram.

Since I used the old cabinet I took out all the old stuff and found out that the wire going from PSU and into the motherboard (RIGHT next to the CPU) had burned out which might have explained how the entire computer where running (coolers etc) and yet the computer did nothing.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the CPU didn't get any electricity=No work=no monitor signal

Hope my topic might help others in the future - thank you to everyone who answered me ^^
    Noswear Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 10:33 PM
    Maybe your graphic card is burn, you must remove it and am sure it will work.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 07:37 AM

THis thread is a year and a half old!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No signal to monitor [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Dell C521 and got tired of Vista. We formatted the hard drive and installed a previous version of XP. We were getting the downloads from the Dell web site to bring the computer up-to-date. During the download of bios it locked up and did not download. When the computer was restarted...

Monitor no signal [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor stays blank when I turn it on with an amber light, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work,other people...

No monitor signal [ 5 Answers ]

Hi people! Once again this common and complex problem. Clues: ~something smells burnt in the tower! But nothing extreme like melt parts etc! ~don't remember what I was doing before on the computer, or if it was working. I woke up and found it like this! ~monitor says no signal, monitor is...

Monitor No Signal [ 6 Answers ]

I restarted my PC yesterday and when I brought it back up, my monitor wouldn't go on. After I turned the monitor on it just said "No Signal" :mad: The PC does not beep at all when I turn it on. I tested the video card and ram and it's not that. I checked the connection from video card to...

No signal to monitor [ 8 Answers ]

OK like a week ago I unhooked my computer then just awhile ago I rehooked it back up and like the computer starts up and everything its just there is no signal to my moniter and the cd rom drive doesn't open or close and I also can't power the computer down by the power button ihave to turn it off...

View more questions Search