Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonozzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 01:10 AM
    A legal permanent resident to marry a filipina
    Can a legal permanent resident (LPR) in US marry a filipina and then bring her to US?

I know that a LPR can't apply for a K1 fiancée visa, is this correct? What other options are there? I've heard there's a IR-1 or CR-1 visa that can be petitioned to bring the LPR's spouse to US.

How long it will take for the spouse to get to US after marriage and what are the most important steps in making this possible? Are there any tips for making it faster?

Thanks.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Mar 5, 2009, 08:25 AM

The spouse of an LPR is in the preference category system as a second preference, first sub-preference (FB-2A).

after getting married, filing the I-130 will set the priority date, the place in line for the immigrant visa. As of march 2009, the FB-2A is at June 1, 2004. When that date is current (matches the PD), then the spouse applies for the IV and will get the immigrant visa you mention above.

The only way to speed up the process is for the LPR to naturalize, then the spouse is an immediate relative and the case "upgrades" and the spouse can apply for the IV immediately.

If this was helpful, rate this answer! Thanks and good luck.
    jonozzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Is it possible for the foreign spouse to apply for a nonimmigrant visa while waiting for the PD ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DCcityboy View Post
    the spouse of an LPR is in the preference category system as a second preference, first sub-preference (FB-2A).

after getting married, filing the I-130 will set the priority date, the place in line for the immigrant visa. as of march 2009, the FB-2A is at June 1, 2004. when that date is current (matches the PD), then the spouse applies for the IV and will get the immigrant visa you mention above.

the only way to speed up the process is for the LPR to naturalize, then the spouse is an immediate relative and the case "upgrades" and the spouse can apply for the IV immediately.

if this was helpful, rate this answer! thanks and good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Marrying a permanent legal resident with green card [ 3 Answers ]

I am a permanent legal resident with a green card. If I marry a us citizen in the united states, will I automatically become a us citizen? If not, how and when can I obtain us citizenship? I am from russia. I married a us citizen in russia in 2002. We moved to usa in 2002 and was divorced in...

If I get marry a resident and I try to do my papers can I still get deported? [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend is a resident... she haven't get her permanent residence yet... she will get it at the end of the year... I want to know if I get marry her and I try to do my papers can I get them?even thou she is a resident and what it would happen if emigrations try to deport me ( for any reason)...

View more questions Search